1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I do love silence.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cuteinpuce, Nov 12, 2015.

1. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

The two-minute noise thread got me thinking about this.

I do cherish times of silence; perhaps because they can be rare things in a busy life. That moment at the end of the school day when I've handed over the last child in the playground and I return to the classroom - and everything is at peace. It's glorious. Of course it doesn't last because the reality of all the after school marking and preparing and organising quickly descends. But that short moment is a precious, precious thing.

In contrast, there was the two minutes of rememberance yesterday with the entire school body packed into the school hall, lit only by candles, in absolute silence. You could have heard a pin drop. There is something so powerful and extraordinary in communal silence.

sebedina likes this.
  2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Oh me too! Dear Alfred doesn't quite get why I don't put the radio or the TV on unless there's something I particularly have chosen to participate in. I think in his childhood experience there had to be something like a bereavement or a power cut to make the telly wallpaper stop.

kibosh and cuteinpuce like this.
  5. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I once paid for an hour in a salt-water isolation tank - was really looking forwards to 'nothing'...they ****** piped through bloody Enya. I had to bang on the door to get them to switch it off.

sebedina, lexus300, knitone and 2 others like this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I cherish those moments too. For me they now arrive at this time of day when it's time for our pup and cat to be put to bed, the telly goes off and blissful peace descends on our home in the same way it does you notice the quiet when it snows.

You've heard of the lull before the storm, well it it's the other way round. I get the pandemonium before the peace. Around the time my sweetheart decides it's time for her to go to bed, the pup wakes up and is anxious to get in the remaining minutes of excitement the day offers him, either by chasing the cat or being chased by him, fetching a squeaky toy to torment me with or making out he wants to go out for a wee or a poo, he has no intention of doing.

kibosh likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You can't relax or be healed unless much more spiritual beings, Enya or whales, are serenading you.

kibosh likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I feel your pain, Spiritwalkerness. Mr Knitone is an Enya fan. Is it just me, or are all her lyrics a version of 'save the whale, save the whale, save the whale'?

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I often go hill walking, the solitude and quiet (at times when creatures allow) is energising.

11. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Silence is golden.