1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I didn't get the job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jul 15, 2011.

1. This is a shameless post to solicit kind words and sympathy, if that's okay
    The Head just called and said, 'I know this is no consolation whatsoever, but you were a very close second' (of course, he might have said that to everyone). My interview was at 9am and he said I was the 'candidate to beat' but SOMEONE came along and 'pipped me to the post'.
    I was really unprofessional and cried on the phone to him - I couldn't help it. He used a really kind voice and that made it worse! I am the ONLY person in my whole PGCE group without a job. I can't believe I'm unemployed for September. I've just looked on the council job pages and there is literally NOTHING.
    I've got to go out for birthday drinks tonight but I can't stop blubbing like a baby. Just can't believe I'm still stuck in this situation. And I absolutely HATE whoever came and took that job. The Head said if they hadn't applied, it would definitely have been mine. I know it's just the way it is but it feels so, so unfair. No job, no proper income, can't plan anything, nothing to look forward to, another summer claiming JSA and starting all over again. So so so unfair!!!!!!!!!!!
    Say nice things to me and stop me crying because I have to go out and be in good cheer soon [​IMG]

2. I wish I could say something that would make it all go away. I have had more than my fair share of tears since starting this horrendous jobseeking journey! It is just so hard and a tough world out there. I am still without a job for September and my council have no jobs for September anymore so I completely understand how you feel. My friends have been a great support and I am starting to believe the idea that the reason I didn;t get that job is because 'our perfect jobs for us' is out there and need to wait for it. It WILL happen, it's just this time wasn't the perfect job for you. They obviously did not deserve a fantastic person and teacher like yourself and tbh it is their loss... a MASSIVE loss not yours. Keep smiling, they aren't worth your tears :) x

3. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

It's horrible isn't it...I got rejected again this week for the last job opportunity until next year. Had an all-day, gruelling interview process. The head called in the evening and was really positive, said I was a close second, everything I did was perfect, listed everything I'd done right and said my lesson was brilliant. The children really liked me, wanted me to be their teacher and I'm such a "strong candidate" she wants to keep me on file. She said she was sure I'd get a job soon if I carried on giving interviews like this. I was in a state of disbelief, she was talking like I'd got it! It's so frustrating but I just want to tell you that you're not the only one. I had quite a few tears yesterday and still feel very down today. I don't know what to do, I'm always pipped to the post by someone who is "better" in some way. So depressed seeing all my PGCE friends talking about preparing their classroom for September. I can only say that I hope an amazing job comes along next year and the waiting will be worth it.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I am so sorry - but have some words of comfort, or at least I hope!

1) There is nothing unprofessional about crying on the phone - it shows you are human! So don't worry about that!

2) There is always hope! Despite low days, you still get up, do the things that need doing and don't give up - that should be commended as it is far too easy to give up and you should be very proud of your self!

3) There?s always tomorrow
    So for now forget your sorrow
    Just look for the black and white
    Never mind about the grey
    It?s time to stand up and fight
    Fight for another day and a new beginning
    So wake up and see the light

Sit back and relax
    Pour another glass of brandy
    Ignore all the facts
    Listen to all your favourite tracks
    The glass is always half full
    Just try and stay positive
    Remember ? there?s always tomorrow
    But don?t forget about today
    Our past holds the key to our future
    Learn from the mistakes you have made
    Don?t live in your past though
    Even if it?s just for today
    Stand tall, walk with your head held high

4) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :) XXX

5. Thanks, girls xxxxxx
    I know, ellie. People keep being really kind to me and saying how great coming 2nd is and it means I'll get smthg soon but I've been hearing that since March. If it was March now this would be water off the duck's proverbial because there would still be so much time to get something for Sep but now that's IT.
    I keep remembering all the things I meant to say and didn't, too. He he, sorry, but cos I qualified in Dec '10 I was going to tell them that I am ahead of NQTs just qualifying because I have experience of supply this year - but my Apprentice-inspired plan went totally out of the window when I got there.
    So so so so upset. I should stop posting because actually all I want someone to say is:
    Hi, I'm Mr ___________ and I've realised I made a huge mistake and please will you come and work for me?
    Boo hoo!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxx

6. These words are SO kind they made me cry again, in a nicer way xxxxxxxx
    HA HA it's not MY birthday!!!!!! I'd be heading into the garage with a Morrissey LP and a pipe to put over the exhaust if it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxx

7. Things are never that bad ever even to entertain such a thought.
    I am dissapointed that you did not get the job but the other posters here are right, something hopefully will come for us all soon.

8. Well, gee, I know he's a bit of a pompous old **** nowadays, but I just love him...

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So sorry for you. And don't mind about crying - you're not the first and you won't be the last. It just shows how committed you are, I always say.
    But you'd better stop crying now, or your mascara will run all over your face - you are getting on the Glad Rags and painting your face? Getting ready to wow every man in sight? Going to have a great evening because you also remember all the things that you did very very well?
    Hey - not talking about me, I hope?
    Definitely talking about me here ...
    Go on, laugh!
    Best wishes for a lovely evening.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Awww nooooo. don't you just hate it when that happens!?!

I went for an interview a couple of years ago and felt everything had gone swimmingly. They phoned early in the evening to let me know they hadn't fully decided as they were seeing a couple more candidates the following day but that I had done really well. They phoned on the second day to say one person from the second day just pipped me to the post as they had more knowledge of the county than me! WHAT? Grrrrr and what school interviews two days worth of candidates for a general classteacher post?

But it does get better, and supply teaching can be fabulous fun. I've done it for a grand total of about 3.5 years out of the 15 I have been qualified. Seriously loved lots of parts of it.

Come on...cheer up. Get yourself registered next week with some good agencies and feel positive for next term.