1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I didn't get the job because I was 'too good'.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Booklover12345, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Booklover12345

Booklover12345 New commenter

Has anyone else been in this situation before? No negative feedback from the interview and they said I was an exceptional candidate; their worry was that I would leave them for a promoted post soon. They have an NQT who I imagine the post has gone too, but still feeling disheartened as I had a school visit at the start of the week and loved it. They said I was going places and I would definitely get something soon, also offered me a part time post but I'm leaving my full time to get something closer to home. Ah well, onwards and upwards!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I wonder if it's a euphemism for "we went for the cheaper option".

I once had my references taken up for a post but didn't get invited to an interview, and my HoD was pretty sure it was not the references which were an issue. They appointed an NQT, and in fact a year later they advertised a promoted post, for which I was interviewed, so it seems fairly likely that it was a case of going for the cheaper option.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Either as post #2 suggests or they already had a candidate they wanted to appoint, and were just going through the motions...

phlogiston, pepper5 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Sorry @Booklover12345 believe me it was for the best and the perfect job is out there with your name on it.

Enjoy your weekend!:)

5. catslovelycats

catslovelycats New commenter

I was once turned down for a job after being told I was "over qualified". Was not impressed because they would have known that before I was interviewed.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Selection is always a mixture of the objective and the subjective. The former is always easier to explain: the interview lesson was a shambles, or whatever. The latter is harder and leads to unhelpful feedback.
    The only honest feedback is, "We chose the other candidate. Better luck next time."

7. bobtes

bobtes New commenter

At my first interview (mid 90s) I was told "it was very close but we wanted a man"

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Illegal even then,

But ...went on a lot.

In 90s I was often quizzed about lack of children, how long I’d been married, if I was married, how dare I use the prefix Ms?....