1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I didn't enjoy Christmas this year...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Dec 26, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Sorry to admit it but this year wasn't the best! My partner is in Afghanistan and I miss him terribly and as an extra treat... as of today my mum is ignoring me and I over heard her bitching about me in another room saying i'd really upset her because i'd "not said a word all day, or said thank you for any presents." Yes I was quieter than normal because I was finding it difficult without him and was trying to keep it all in, but i certainly said thank you for presents. Well that made for an awkward evening as I sat there trying not to burst into tears! She didn't even say night when I came to bed!

Hope everyone else had a peaceful and happy Christmas.

2. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Oh, lilipad, I'm sorry. I hope you'll have your partner at home next Christmas. Maybe later you'll be able to explain to your mum why you weren't very talkative.

3. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Awww.... big hugs, Lilli. It's pretty thoughtless of your mother. Enjoy her ignoring you and have a peaceful time, Hoping things are fine with your partner. Take care.
    x

4. Oh, Lilipad, I'm so sorry. You certainly weren't alone though- Christmas here sucked too. Thinking of you and hoping next year is miles better for you (hugs)

5. Know the feeling. I hate Christmas because the family get drunk and then say hurtful things. It does make it better though when you finally do get a peaceful one! Hopefully next year will be better, book yourself a holiday cottage and forget the family!

6. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Brill idea, sidey!

7. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Gosh that could be boxing day here today. It has made me tearful and ruined what had otherwise been a great christmas.

8. Its funny how Christmas is usually the most miserable time of the year! We spent christmas with my family and boxing day with my OHs which was nice but we had to do lots of whizzing around, driving and time keepin. My dad is a bit of a pain when he's had a drink in him and we always play a board game (which I do usually love!) but he always becomes aggressive and him and my mum always clash and ruin it with arguing. Fortunately as I now live with OH we had the perfect opportunity to leave to get home.
    Then yesterday we spent the day with OHs parents which was fine but SO BORING. I am one of those people who finds it physically hard to watch TV and do nothing else, especially when its a film i've seen before. I have to amuse myself with a puzzle or book or laptop, so I read almost an entire book and just waited to get home so that I could do my own thing again. His mum also loves talking even when there's nothing to say so I get dragged into frustratingly dull conversations. "Do you think the queen has carpet or lino?" was one such gem. Got back about 11pm (its a 2 hour drive).
    Ive also spent most of it with a nervy feeling in my stomach as im worrying about a lump I found on one of my beloved cats. I cant shake the nervous feeling!
    So all in all nothing bad happened, but after all the build up to Christmas I always find it a bit of a let down once gifts and food have been done.
    Today we are chilling, enjoying our gifts and doing whatever we want which involves OH playing on the Xbox, me playing on the laptop/doing my jigsaw/having a bath/reading and lots of drinking of posh coffee. Im trying to put the cats lump out of my mind and tell myself so stop ruining my time off by worrying!

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Wow thanks for the lovely responses, I was expecting some telling me not to be a scrooge lol. It's nice to know i'm not the only one! Maybe next year will be better :-\ lol.

10. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

You are not alone Impulce ! This could have been me describing my day . I feel guilty at feeling so resentful at having to spend time doing what others want to do - my partner quite rightly reminds me it happens so rarely I should have the good grace to go with the flow. Happier to day in my routine and with my fabulous cats - hope things work out for you and yours .

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

[​IMG]

12. You are definitely not alone. I felt pretty miserable Christmas Day as the person I spent it with wasn't in the mood at all and after dinner he wanted to be on his own- I felt pretty lonely watching Christmas films by myself to pass the time. It's horrible when everyone else says what a wonderful day they have had when you haven't really enjoyed it. Let's hope Christmas in 2012 is better!