1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I didnt come into politics to raise taxes"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 29, 2018.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

...….says Philip Hammond. Why not? Taxes are not evil, they can be an effective method of redistribution of wealth from those who can afford it to those who cannot manage without help - be they old, ill , or indeed just too stupid to make wise decisions in their lives. Of course I'll enjoy my increased personal tax allowance but I'm surprised.

Geoff Thomas, nizebaby, InkyP and 2 others like this.
  2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

All true but I can see why increasing taxes is not top of the list of things that inspire people into politics.

peter12171 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I don't mind increasing taxes if it results in a better situation. What I do object to is taxes being wasted and not used efficiently.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't mind paying tax but I want wealthy corporations and individuals to be paying the full amount they should.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think everyone feels the same when their taxes being wasted, but many of us find it offensive that the wealthy find ways to avoid paying their full share, at the expense of the poor getting poorer and government measures intended to penalise the poorest.

When I joined the NHS in 1972, the average life expectancy for men was just under 70 years and for women, it was 74. The most common cause of death was heart disease. It still is, but the mortality rate from heart disease halved between 2,000 and 2015 and in the case of women, was overtaken by dementia. Average life expectancy has increased by ten or more years.

What a fantastic achievement this has been for those reliant on the National Health Service. Yet it forever gets knocked for its rising cost. Those extra ten years of life has enabled the government to move the state retirement age and collect taxes off people for longer, so what's it all about?

Is the UK funeral directors lobby as powerful a force as the gun lobby in Yankeeland?

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Raising those tax allowances is false as many people fall below the income level to actually pay any, so for them it makes no difference. Reducing VAT might help, as (some of) the goods that VAT is charged on are ridiculous. Incidentally I seem to have missed that we can drop VAT on certain items when Brexit happens, or are they keeping quiet about that?

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

VAT is an EU inspired tax. It replaced purchase tax when wanted to join the Common Market. For me it was the most ludicrous tax ever invented. My engineering business only ever sold goods to other businesses, so all the tax I collected on behalf of the government was reclaimed. I too reclaimed all the tax my business paid.

For all the VAT I added to my invoices, for all the time that was wasted in bookkeeping, accountancy fees and VAT checks, it never raised a penny of income for the government. What's that all about?

border_walker and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well now it appears he has a workaround excuse...

He's raised NI... not a tax! [would be his response]

lindenlea and grumpydogwoman like this.
  10. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I quite like this new advert making the rounds in the US: