1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I despair

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FrauleinGM, Jan 20, 2020.

1. FrauleinGM

FrauleinGM New commenter

Hi all

My saga continues... I had a formal absence management meeting 2 weeks ago. All of my absences caused by a confition I was diagnosed with a few months ago. Work sent me to OH. The OH Doctor wrote a report saying I'm fit for work with adjustments and listening what the adjustments are.
    We went through the report in the formal meeting 2 weeks ago. Not a word from school since. I emailed HR again today and have now been told that they do not find OH report clear enough as the Dr suggested adjustments but didn't fully explain reasons behind them. So they are now writing to OH and waiting for their response and therefore I am in 3rd week of waiting with absolutely no help and getting worse again. I should add that they have set me an attendance target but I don't see how I will meet this without the adjustments.

My school union rep hasnt done much. I emailed the regional rep who said he shouldn't normally be advising on a case being handled by a school rep. But he then went on to advise that OH don't need to explain reasons, that school should stick to a time frame and that I should write to HOD and headteacher putting them on formal notice that their failure to act is making me worse.
    So I've now forwarded all this to my school rep and hope I get some help...

Incidentally my school has had the OH report for 3 weeks and they've only just noticed that the report isn't clear enough for them, apparently. It's also an oh practitioner that the school chose.

I honestly don't even know what to do anymore - Im starting to feel completely hopeless.

2. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

First, you have my sympathies. Clearly this is a really stressful time for you. It sounds like the cogs and wheels of the system are turning at the glacial speed they are wont to turn at, with little time or consideration for the individual needs of those who are struggling.

It seems like you are getting an awful lot from talking about this online, but I hope that you have somewhere and someone(s) to talk to about this - online support is a poor substitute for a friendly chat with a brew. That being said, if we're all you've got, then keep talking.

If you are currently not working, then may I suggest you priorities yourself for a little while. Get out and do some things for yourself that will make you feel positive. Exercise works too - if I didn't have my ride to and from work every day, then I would be impossible to work with (and live with according to my wife).

Most importantly, don't lose hope. If this doesn't end the way you want then maybe starting again at a different school wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Like Dory said, just keep swimming.

hamcguin and phlogiston like this.
  3. FrauleinGM

FrauleinGM New commenter

Thank you for your kind words. Things have been so difficult lately.
    I'm so stressed out by the whole situation it's making everything worse. I lay awake all night long and am feeling so awful today I've had to call in sick again. Which of course it turn means that I'm stressing because I'm absent again and wondering what they're going to say this time. I'm terrified I will get fired - I am not sure if they can do this but it doesn't stop me from worrying. I've always been successful as a teacher and can't believe how awful things have become and how little support I am getting. I just really wish the school worked with me, not against me.

I don't have a lot of people to talk to so this forum is really helpful. It is good to know that someone is listening - and sometimes it's easier to talk to someone who doesn't know the school.

streetno9 likes this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Check your absence management policy

1) A reasonable adjustment can be that the triggers for Absence Management are adjusted.
    2) I have seen absence management policies that state that until RA are implemented then then you are deemed unfit for work.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. FrauleinGM

FrauleinGM New commenter

This all sounds like good advice - apart from the gave that we don't currently have an absence management policy! HR said they're rewriting it - there is an old one but it is 1 page long and doesn't mention any of the things you mentioned above...

6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

How long has this school been going?

Are you saying that the one page policy is your current policy or that there isn't one in place?

I presume that a one page "policy" cannot describe an absence policy in such detail to describe absence management target procedures after it has detailed calling in and reporting absence etc etc.

If so how can you be placed on an absence management programme when no such policy exists? What have your Union (at regional) said?

7. madcatlady

madcatlady Occasional commenter

Hello, I don't have any advice per se. I am incensed by your school's lack of reaction and support for you.

Just wanted to say I have read your posts and there are people here, myself included, wishing you well xxx

streetno9 and FrauleinGM like this.