1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I cried in the car on my way home today... help!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by craftyangel49, Feb 22, 2016.

1. craftyangel49

craftyangel49 New commenter

I need to let off steam.

My team leader is a massive ****puffin.

So we've done some IRIS filming of ourselves to share in our team meetings. I did mine 3 weeks ago, before half term. During our team meeting tonight my team leader says, oh Laura can you share your reflection? Ok, thanks for the warning! I started the job in January having completed my NQT last year so I'm not an experienced teacher.

I let them all watch the video of me teaching during continuous provision time and afterwards she said nothing positive, nothing. She was like, so how do you think you pushed the children's learning further? What areas of development would you give yourself? How about, well done Laura for sharing in front of us all, thank you for doing that. No? Ok. It made me feel like I was a totally **** teacher. I'm sure that's not what she meant but it's how I felt.

And THEN! When our TA's had gone the teacher form the other class (we're 3 form entry) says, oh do we need to do those targets forms for parent's evening next week? Oh yes says my team leader, sorry I forgot to email you about that Laura, you haven't seen those have you? No I have not bloody seen them, I have been here for half a term!!! And now I have a week to get these forms done with 4 targets PER CHILD!!!

And then she ***** off to get her nails done.*

I am soo ****** off and upset. I cannot do anything I actually enjoy about this job because I have to do all this data and targets and bloody paper work that she wants.

Grrrrrr.

*apologies for the language.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

No apologies needed! So sad to hear you feeling like this in your first day back.

That was unfair. They should have asked you! perhaps you could go back to them and ask for some positive feedback. Have you already had some? I am sure she did not mean to mak you feel like this and am sure she would be gutted if she knew. Would it be worth mentioning?

As regards all the extra you have just found out you need to do, could you do much of this through group targets. from your other thread I think you do a lot of group work, so make it work for you. May not solve everything but will make the talk more manageable.
    As EYFS lead she should be able to provide you with a breakdown of what is needed at different points in the year, assessments, reports, targets, etc etc etc. you could ask for this and explain that you wouldn't need to be asking her (finding out at the last moment) about everything that goes on. Then if she doesn't put something on the list, you can say you weren't aware ....needed doing. Make her do some of the legwork and support you as a new member of staff.

Hope some of this helps, I'll be thinking of you.

And take heart, she probably used your video because she thought it was worth watching and, although not stated she may want others to learn from how you do things.

I'm rambling so I'm off now!!!:)

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is there a KS leader or AH/DH you can talk to about having some extra non-contact to do the target forms? Or have one of them help you to do them?

Is there and AH/DH you can talk to about how you felt today on the way home? They should be supporting you as an inexperienced and as a new to the school teacher. Try to find a senior member of staff to talk it through with before it escalates.

And drink wine and eat choccie tonight.

dljames2013 likes this.
  4. craftyangel49

Unfortunately she is the assistant head.

I could go to our acting head but I'm always reluctant to bother people because in my head I should be able to cope with everything. I know, I know that's not right :)

I did tell my TA though who I love sooo much.

Luckily I have a half eaten box of Quality Street that I dip into of an evening.

It's all OK really. Until it's not.

Camokidmommy, can I come and work with you?!!

X

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You have my sympathy. Not a way to motivate people. Unfortunately there are a lot of poor managers.

hasslethehog likes this.
  6. Camokidmommy

Of course you can, crafty angel! We will be thinking about animals this halfterm, so we are all very excited! We will be taking it in turns to bring our animals in for 'show and hell'!!!

Don't be reluctant to share some of how you feel, obviously you have to think what you share and what you don't. Perhaps you could just wait for an opportune moment to mention how you felt, but do it as an 'off the cuff' comment, just in passing. Then you will have mentioned it and anyone who is really listening will pick up on it.

I am really pleased to hear that you have a fab TA, I know that on several occasions over the years a good TA has saved my sanity!

Chin up, eat choccy and drink wine!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do speak to your acting head. It isn't 'bothering' people, it is allowing them to sort out small problems so you don't end up howling in their office when everything has built up. It's a kindness to them really.

I'm seeing my head tomorrow over a relatively minor thing, but I am past letting things build up which they easily could.

hasslethehog and Camokidmommy like this.
  8. Camokidmommy

How are you doing craftyangel?

9. craftyangel49

Much, much better thanks.

This week is parent's evening week, oh joy! Tomorrow is the second one 4-7pm and I am full apart from a 20 minute break. I am going to be knackered!!

My TA, my autistic child's SNA and I are getting on better every day, I could not make it through without them.

xxx

Yoda- likes this.
  10. Camokidmommy

Glad you have support from your immediate team. That is invaluable.

As for parents evening, the joy of which cannot be explained with words!!!

Will think of you when I'm at my daughters parents evening - secondary- and its a little like speed dating!!

Have bottle of wine and large bar of choc ready for tomorrow night.

Xx

11. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

HI, I would definitely speak to your acting HT, just to clarify if this is the "new" approach to things, or how things are done in this school. This way, you let her know what has gone on but without directly being critical of the AHT. I would also be proactive and go back to your team leader and ask to discuss the clip and how she thinks you can improve on it. Record what the advice she gives you, so that you are then seen as someone who is focussed on improvement and you can then turn this situation round as part of any PM process by showing how professionally you have acted. Good luck.

12. craftyangel49

Hi all, it's been a while and I just wanted to say that I've got a new job! I'm going to be starting at a new school in September in reception. I'm super excited and the way they run the EYFS unit is so much more style. It's a Primary school which I prefer, one big unit room with 2 teachers, 2 TA's which I also prefer. I've been in for an INSET day and loved it.

That's helping me get through these last 7 weeks particularly as we've changed our provision to be more like year 1 to prepare the children so there's even more direct teaching and even more lesson planning a prep to do.

I hope you're all surviving this last leg before the summer.

xxx

gingerhobo48 and hasslethehog like this.
  13. Camokidmommy

Hi Craftyangel! So glad to hear you are moving on to something that suits you much better.

Let us know how fab things are in September.

Really pleased for you. :D

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Great news, crafty. Onwards and upwards.

15. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Isn't is great how things have changed and now we have exciting new tasks to do every 5 minutes. Dafties like me who taught in the old days focused on children, not data. Progress eh?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. craftyangel49

Hello everyone! @Camokidmommy how was our summer?

I'm still super excited about my new job. There have been a few changes since I was appointed. I now have my own room but we've zoned the areas of learning across the two rooms with a connecting door between them for free-flow.

Myself and the other Year R teacher did planning after a morning of home visits last week and it was short and sweet and everything I expected from EYFS.

Feeling super excited for our children to start tomorrow. It's a good feeling :)

The only thing now is that the building works finished late and we still haven't had all our furniture delivered so the classroom is not looking as I would want but it's a work in progress. We are not referring to our rooms as a year R 'unit but rather a dynasty empire! Happy days!

Good luck for the new term everyone!:)

17. Camokidmommy

hello, craftyangel so glad to hear you're happy:D

Summer was brilliant. Managed to avoid 3 weeks in a campervan with stroppy teenager. Spent heaps of time on the beach and didn't do very much school stuff at all! Bet you spent the summer looking forward to a new job.

New building, furniture, new children....how exciting! How did your first day go? I'm sure you loved it, even if your room was a little less fabulous than you wanted. I used to work in a large reception unit where areas were organised as you describe. It worked really well (most of the time;))

Let us know how it all goes.