1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i could go anywhere - so where?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by webfoot, Mar 16, 2004.

1. zenzuata

zenzuata New commenter

How about somewhere a bit nearer ?

2. Depends what you want. Money: Middle East. Culture: Europe ( but be careful; Spain, for example, offers terrible salaries.) Booze and more booze: South America.

3. I think you need to just start applying and see what turns up.

BUT do be careful to research any schools that make you offers carefully. Your lack of experience won't rule you out of jobs in decent establisments but they will make you look like easier pickings for some of the dodgier places and I think it may be hard for you to appreciate right now just how dodgy schools can be.

Contrary to what was suggested earlier don't just assume that if a school is at a job fair it is a legit. Check out the forum of the site that reviews international schools for teachers to see plenty of complaints and horror stories by people who got jobs though the job fairs and then got completely screwed over.

I personally recommend using Search. If you go through the UK associate it is free to join. Once you have joined you then have access to their data base listing all the schools worldwide who are looking for teachers (and have registered obviously). You then can apply to the school direct. If you want to go to the job fair (which will increase your chances) then you need to pay but if you get a job through directly contacting a school they school pays the fee.

I don't work for Search but after discovering this I've become a huge fan. You can get so much information just by accessing the database. I decided late that I wanted a new job, joined them in February and by March had several offers. Took a job that I am very happy with and the whole experience cost me nothing.

4. Bgw

Bgw

Africa.... if you want an adventure and a complete cultural shock. I spent four years in Kenya and loved it. I knew nothing of the place before going.

We enjoyed everything from camping in game parks, to luxury lodges, beautiful beaches, great night life, sports with locals and ex pats and long holidays.

Teaching was a pleasure, great kids, supportive parents and plenty of good parties!!! I guess when you work somewhere and the new parents cocktail evening basically involves enjoying a few drinks with a bunch of parents who have just moved there, sets the tone for the year... loved it.

5. The OP started this thread in 2004. I'm guessing that by now, they've made a decision.

Although if it was a current thread, I'd go to SE Asia.

6. LOL, yes, I started this 4 years ago - someone was being naughty in resurrecting it! But thank you for your time in replying and it may well help others who are looking.

I didn't go abroad in the end. I ended up ill and off sick for many months, landing me in debt. I'm paying that off now... I'll have more choice in a few years time, perhaps.

7. it is a few years time.

8. Dear All,
    If you are keen to go work overseas in an
    international school and have taught a little in the Uk, may I suggest
    you have a look http://www.job2teach.net/vacancies/ because we have
    exclusive contacts with head teachers around the world and we're not
    kidding !
    There's also tons of articles on there with interviews from teachers working abroad. Please check us out at www.job2teach.com .
    Thanks in advance,
    Ian Readings
    Director !

9. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Do you mind not spamming forums with your posts?

10. Reading these post from years ago feels like travelling in time!

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Where, zenzuata?