1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

i could go anywhere - so where?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by webfoot, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Young, free and single. One year's experience of teaching English and Art. I have got itchy feet and really, I could go anywhere. Need to be paying off my graduate loan - need accommodation really. So where do you lot recommend? (don't fancy places with really high humidity, and not in it for the money as long as I have enough to live on.)

2. Young, free and single. One year's experience of teaching English and Art. I have got itchy feet and really, I could go anywhere. Need to be paying off my graduate loan - need accommodation really. So where do you lot recommend? (don't fancy places with really high humidity, and not in it for the money as long as I have enough to live on.)

3. Not here, CAIRO

4. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Latin America - anywhere!

5. Sometimes I find the choice so daunting - can't make up my mind where to go. Having a teaching qualification and some experience really is a passport to the world - so long as you are free and single !!

My suggestion - teach in Africa for a coup,e of years. I taught in Zim and never regretted it (that was before it went to the dogs).

6. My first post abroad was in Switzerland. I worked in an international school for 16 months. This was a very good experience and was very financially rewarding. I had 9000UKP debt when I arrived there and cleared it all within 15 months.

It is a safe, clean and culturally diverse country with spectacular mountains and a brilliant rail network. You are right in the heart of Europe and you can practise your German, French or Italian.

Just try to ensure that you get cheap school accommodation and meals included.

hoblos

7. I've heard Doha's really good.

8. I'm afraid that most reputable school will be looking at a minimum 2 years experience, certainly in the Middle East where by and large you can find the best overall deals in my humble opinion.
    However as you will see from other posts you may also be unlucky and end up in a dodgy school. In your particular case, with only 1 year's experience I would advise caution and careful research before accepting any offers.
    Why not hack another year in UK, get the experience and take your pick.

9. To generalise for the Gulf region (because there are good schools in "bad" countries and v.v), the places to go to are the UAE, Oman, Bahrain and to a lesser extent Qatar. The ones to avoid are Saudi and Kuwait.

Having said that, the main reasons why people went to any of these places in the past was they were lucrative destinations. The plummeting value of the dollar has put paid to that in recent times, so I would nearly avoid them altogether for a few years.

If you are not saddled with huge loan repayments, I would use the opportunity to teach abroad as a surrogate or an accompaniment for extensive travel, and not worry about the money. You are only young once!

10. I don't have huge loan repayments, but enough that I can't do voluntary work!

I see plenty of English jobs advertised but not much for Art. Do people not teach Art in international schools?

Switzerland sounds good - isn't the cost of living really high?

I don't want to hack another year here, I'm 27 and itching to travel.

I was thinking of doing a TEFL, but would that really be a waste of money with my PGCE and English experience? I wondered if it'd broaden my options.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'd never really considered Africa before.

11. A bit frightened to offer my opinions around here nowadays, but.......

Oman is a beautiful country, and has some fantastic scenery and watersports. There are also some fantastic schools in Muscat, but also some VERY dodgy ones. You can live well there, on the kind of salary that they pay.

Never worked in Switzerland, but have been there for an interview and stayed a few days. Beautiful Country - absolutely gorgeous. Great rail network, centrally located. But, yes it is very expensive indeed. Most schools pay well there - and they need to. If you ever get a chance, take a trip on Lake Geneva and visit Montreux.

Thailand. I have been there and would love to work there. You very rarely see a bad thing said from people who have worked there. The vibrancy of Bangkok, and the beauty of Koh Samui and Phuket both easily accessable. Some excellent schools there (but VERY difficult to get into), and again some dodgy ones. But this MAY be a country where it's worth putting up with some work ****. Others could advise you better on that.

But so far, my best place to work is Berlin. When my work took me there, I really did not want to go. But Berlin is absolutely kicking. You can do anything you want there, culture, rock, dance, clubs, cinema, sports, sex. Anything. The locals are extremely friendly, and the place is just fantastic. I lived in Potsdan, just outside Berlin, and cycling to work every day through the Brandenburg Gate was just an unforgettable experience. The winters are beautiful cold and crisp, the summers warmer than the UK. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous as well - lakes and woods. It is also a great base for exploring Eastern Europe.

Well, that is my experience and OPINION. I know that it doesn't count for much around here any more (it used to), but I am offering it anyway.

And Doha? I won't repear what I think about that. I'll get chased from the board for ever.

12. Dubai and New Zealand have both been spot on for me, both clean and safe places to work and very rewarding lifestyles. Both very different countries and cultures but both fantastic places.

13. Avoid gardening in Thailand - look before you leap - the good ones are very good

14. Sweden...nothing like sailing through the archipelago on a gorgeous July day. Or going for a walk on the darkest days of December, warmed by the glow of the lights and candles in the windows of Swedish homes. The salary isn't the best, but the people and the culture sure is. (I admit it, I'm a shameful romantic!)

15. ...English and Art (especially if you can teach Art History) is a great combination in Swedish schools! Even the "kommunal" or local, schools...and they pay better! Good luck.

16. Mexico.

Thats where Im headed in July/August. Never been there in my life but never heard a bad word said about it either..

17. Thanks for the input. Interested that Sweden came up as I do have a hankering for Scandinavia, but was put off by the cost of living.

Right now am applying for a job in Hull - well, it's the UK but at least it's near the ferry terminal!

18. During May in London is the ECIS (European Council of International Schools) fair, organised by COIS (the Council of International Schools). Check out on the web site www.cois.org.

You apply before the fair sending CV, etc and this can be done online. Basically you will get a variety of schools interested in you who will set up interviews for you during the fair plus there is an opportunity to see all the schools attending and the jobs available. The Web site gives info on all the schools attending and updates on the jobs every week.

The fair is free. There is also another international job fair called Search, but you have to pay. My wife and I went to the ECIS job fair in January, we just jot jobs in Beijing and have a fantastic package, including accomadation, flights, medcare, sports club membership, moving allowance, good wage with great saving opportunity.

We have friends in various countries. we've also worked in France. Once you get on the international community it is another world.

Paris has some good schools, but you can'r really save there. The middle east is a great place to save, we have friends in Qatar and my sister is moving to UAE. You will be stuck with your own type and not be able to mix with the culture or visit too many places, if there are many places to visit there.

The best thing to do is choose an area of the world you may like to live, find out (use the web - wonderful thing) what schools are in the major cities. Look at their web sites. If they have a good one, its a good thing. Check to see if they are accredited by an organisation - e.g. ECIS. Email them and send them your CV. See if they are going to the ECIS fair in May.

You'll get better schools at these fairs and have protection from dodgy schools as they have particular guidlines which they have to follow. You won't have to go to another country to have an interview or have a phone interview.

It's also good to have contacts in these schools as that way you're more likely to get an interview. If you want anymore advice i'll check this string again.

19. DON"T GO TO QATAR