1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

I continue to be appalled by the ubiquitous negativity that mathematics teachers face.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by afterdark, Mar 13, 2011.

  1. afterdark

    afterdark Occasional commenter

    not just me then. Whilst you may find it humourous to go off on a tangent on a thread I don't see it as helpful, and the negativity is something that all mathematics teachers are faced with.
    As for computers it is mainly about money.. microsoft shuffle all the controls and shortcuts about every so often and market it as a new improved version for which they sell training and charge the earth to upgrade to.
    The negativity against maths is partly laziness and partly sneering at those that have a skill/talent that 'they' themselves do not.
    Thank you.


     
  2. ad - we are all maths teachers - if we didn't laugh, we'd cry
     
  3. bombaysapphire

    bombaysapphire Star commenter

    A lot of the negativity seems to be bravado to me. Most of the students I teach will admit at Parents' Evening that they enjoy their Maths lessons.
    Sadly there is this cultural acceptance that everyone "hates/can't do Maths." The same student who sat and told me at Parents' Evening that they enjoy it will say the opposite in front of their peer group. Frustrating I agree.
     
  4. I dont quite follow your response. Can you clarify what you are saying please?
     
  5. afterdark

    afterdark Occasional commenter

    yes perhaps a little more punctuation in the form of a new line and/or new paragraph. And a qualifier.
    i.e.

    Thanks not just me then.
    Whilst some of you may find it humourous to go off on a tangent on a thread I don't see it as helpful, and the negativity is something that all mathematics teachers are faced with.
     
  6. I think its a 4 way split on kids learning and how they view maths
    (i) There own desire to progress or love of the subject
    (ii) The influenceof the parents in shapingtheir ideas about learning and being successful
    (iii) The culture of their peers and community
    (iv) The teacher
    We play a little part in their development and if 25% is massively positive (ie you and your aims) yet the other 75% not then we have a battle. I actively encourage parents and have had lots of good feedback yet others are either not swayed by learning/maths or are negative.
    I just keep going at it and thinking of the days when kids see you in the supermarket 5 years after they left and thank you.
     

Share This Page