1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can't work out my pro rata pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by j_buckler, Oct 20, 2018.

1. j_buckler

j_buckler New commenter

Starting soon, 32.5 hours, £12,626.16 pro rata.
    I'm 28, is this below minimum/average?
    Thank you in advance for any help
    Also
    What does everyone do to earn a bit more? I'm trying to assess my options

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Congratulations on your new job. There have been several threads about working out TA pro-rate pay, you can search for them. I'm rubbish at working it out - the salary you have been quoted will be for all year round, probably 35 hours a week. You will need to pro-rata yours for 39 weeks of the year, plus 5 weeks holiday and 32.5 hours. Sadly, it ends up looking nothing like the first amount!
    TA pay is low. Many TAs do lunch duty, breakfast club or after school clubs to bump up their money. But most TAs work 25 or 27.5 hours a week - as you are working 32.5 hours, there won't be the opportunity to run after school clubs to bump up your salary. I imagine you will still be being paid for an hour or so after school? Once you start your job, you may find an opportunity somewhere - when you've been there a few weeks, let it be known that you are always willing to work extra hours if there is a need.
    School holidays are long and most areas have holiday play schemes - contact your local council for information. They might be a good chance to earn a bit more. Good luck with the job.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

If that is the full time pay it is much lower than my LA. It is even lower than lunch time supervisors.

4. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

Th
    If this is your actual salary, it sounds right to me. I'm working similar hours for a similar amount. It includes rolled-up holiday pay.

Your payroll department will be able to give you a breakdown.

5. MissMinton

MissMinton New commenter

That's about what I make on 32.5 hours. It'll be 8.something an hour, so yes, above minimum wage. It's just the reality of TA work, unfortunately.

I tutor (through an agency for convenience) and also take work from a proofreading/editing service. I'd say I work an extra 6 or 7 hours a week between those two, mainly at the weekend--but I can do the proofreading in my pyjamas and still sleep in, so the weekend work isnt too bad.

With that and my fiance shouldering a bit more of the rent, I make ends meet. I switched from teaching and took a £14k paycut. I know it's rough, but it's possible.

6. Trekkie

Trekkie Occasional commenter