1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can't work out if I'm a bit depressed or just tired/run down

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon8315, Oct 13, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    I'm not a confident person, but I would always have described myself as happy and cheerful.
    I started a new job this term, I enjoy it but the usual settling in aspects are getting me down a bit, my classes aren't easy and I have lots of responsibility (it is a HOD role.) I do feel a little overwhelmed although I do also feel as if I'm hopefully slowly making progress.
    I just feel really lonely, a bit pathetic and unwanted I suppose! I find myself feeling a bit tearful and stupidly emotional some of the time and I don't know if I'm just adjusting to a lot of changes (am in the process of moving house too) or if this is indicative of a more serious problem. I'm certainly very tired a lot of the time but isn't every teacher, and I have gained weight through comfort eating, not all that serious from a size 12 to a 14 but I'd rather not gain any more of course.
    Is this worth seeing a GP about or is iit just 'normal' - I know no one can really tell me this but I am not feeling like myself at all and haven't for some time.

2. If it's been going on for some time I'd say see your GP, but with the caveat that some GPs think "teacher - must be stressed" and bung you on antidepressants, or just "depressed", without looking for a physical reason. Tired and run-down (and after all the challenges you've faced recently, who wouldn't be) can cause depression just as depression makes you feel tired and run-down. But so can anaemia or a dodgy thyroid. Once you've ruled out a physical cause, then you can blame it on teaching!

3. anon8315

Thank you, Lily. It's so hard to say really! I just find myself getting very tearful, anxious and in particular I am feeling very guilty about a myriad of things, none of which are hugely important but I will often remember them at random moments and feel absolutely terrible, like the worst person ever. None of them are things to be hugely proud of but nor are they that terrible yet they bother me out of all proportion and I do get awfully upset about them.
    I think I need to try and take more care of myself in general and eat well and try and ensure I get some fresh air and exercise every day which I haven't been doing much of. I suppose I just feel a bit fragile just now!

4. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Tell someone. Talking does help - a doctor will give advice if you need it or speak to a friend who will listen.
    Is there any one at work that you feel ok talking to - I'm learning it's better to let people know before it gets put of hand.
    Look after yourself

5. I'm sorry you're feeling this way..I have moments when my bad experiences come back to me and though i don't want to take advice from the subject you started would be glad of advice.

6. Pardon the awful typing me and Blackberry things were not meant for
    each other. I am guessing that you are quite young only because quite
    young is when you make your mistakes. If one comes into your mind you
    must learn techniques for chasing it away. There is nothing more
    pointless than dwelling on a mistake that can't be undone, if only
    because NO-ONE will remember it more than you. I worked with a woman
    who - and I kid you not - had murdered her abusive husband. She moved -
    what? 100 miles? - from cumbria to N Yorks and noone had a clue who she
    was. Could you name the last 3 lottery winners? All in the news, all 9
    day wonders. Let it go. Personally embarrassing, but not worth even
    thinking about what anyone else thought of it. They've already
    forgotten. You move away, you move on. People make allowances for
    youthful indiscretion and because really, mass terrorism aside (and go
    on, name ne 3 terrorists and I taught 2 of them hahaha)you're not even
    yesterday's news.
    Take care of yourself, eat well, and I think
    exercise is ony 3 days a week unless you really like it (eeeeek) and
    harden up. Everyone else isn't better in any way than you unless you have
    evidence to the contrary.

7. anon8315

I am 30 so I'm not so sure about the young part!
    They are very silly things. Shouting at my brother (who has disabilities and can't help it but he is very frustrating at times!) not putting in an offer on a house because I didn't like the area much although the house itself was quite nice and my dad (who I viewed it with) was very enthusiastic and the poor woman's hopes must have been raised a lot as the house had been on the market a while, missing an appointment by mistake so that I wasted somebody's time. Things like that, I know they are incredibly stupid which is partly what makes me suspect it isn't normal but they make me feel like a horrible, nasty person when I remember and at times I have just wanted to cry as I feel so awful.

8. Sorry I dont know you but please just forget it. Everyone else has. If you keep on remembering it it's because you want to feel bad about something or pin why you feel bad on something that isnt real. Try telling yourself that if that's the best you can come up with you are really not a bad person. In fact you sound really nice.If you're crying over that then you aren't crying ove ranything real and maybe you need to see your doctor. I don't mean that in a bad way.

9. At the moment I feel much like this too, mostly started for me when I didnt get the job I'd been doing on a temporary basis for the past two years. Now I feel like I can't do anything right, I feel like everyone is talking about me and not to me and I want to cry all of the time. Got my PM meeting next week and I'm dreading it, I have convinced myself that the HT now has it in for me and wants rid of me.

The thing is I am sure in my heart it's not true but I just can't shake the nagging voice in my mind.

I have a friend who I can talk about but only see her two days of the week and don't get on as well with her job share partner although she is lovely it's not the same.

This evening I have been sat here thinking 'Am I depressed?"

10. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Go and tell all this to your doctor - you might actually find part of your burden lifted if they say 'yes, this is depression, and here is what we are going to try'. I felt so relieved, that I oddly felt quite positive about getting this diagnosis! But it's the first step in getting yourself better. And if it isn't depression, then it at least rules out one option.

11. That is the conclusion I came to last night after bursting into tears yet again, feeling more positive today but will make an appointment to see Dr