1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I cant understand why primary teachers work 50/60 hours a week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jan 20, 2012.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

I wonder if they ever divide their weekly wage by the hours worked? (works out less than a cleaner)
    I think it makes for some very very dull, blinkered and insular people out there fascinated by the world of work
    Do we all agree with 'work to live, not live to work?'

2. The Red Heron

I wonder if they ever divide their weekly wage by the hours worked? (works out less than a cleaner)
    I think it makes for some very very dull, blinkered and insular people out there fascinated by the world of work
    Do we all agree with 'work to live, not live to work?'

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I dunno. For 13 weeks a year I earn a fabulous weekly wage!

If I add up my term time weekly hours then yes I earn little, but then I get a far greater number of weeks off than anyone else I know who isn't a teacher.

To get a fair reflection teachers should add up their yearly hours and divide their wage by that. Probably not half as bad as some would have us believe.

4. Someone on another forum did some maths. Add up the average amount of hours worked in a week (above and beyond a 9-5 type job), and it usually works out at 1 or 2 full extra days work per week. If you add those days up, it actually works out that we are OWED holiday.

5. I work a 50ish hour week when averaged out over the holidays! Nope, I don't get paid much for those hours.
    I don't think of myself as insular - I hasd a different career before teaching and so am pretty savvy about the private sector and all its boons and ills. I have kids, and find they are a natural alam for when I need to down tools and do something else.
    As to why I do these hours - paperwork, marking and resourcing are what I spend most time doing.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Regardless of what I'm paid compared to a cleaner, I know what job I'd rather be doing!
    I would estimate I work around 50-55 hours per week, but I'm an NQT and hope to reduce that long term. I like long holidays so I don't mind. Any job earning a decent amount you have to put in the hours....bankers work crazy hours. Yes they get paid a LOT but I couldn't do the hours they do. If you don't like working long hours, go get a 9-5 where you can update your facebook 20 times a day every time you get a cup of tea, or something equally boring.

7. The Red Heron

Good old NQTs, the system and Gove needs mugs who will work for £6 an hour and shuffle paper until its coming out of their ****.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Brilliant answer... I so agree!

9. With all due respect, you are an NQT and don't really have the right to be cross with people for being a little down about the hours we put in when you have only completed one term. I had the same attitude in my NQT year and whilst some parts get easier, you also get more and more responsibility/higher expectations/less room for error so actually it gets tougher.
    I think it was my third year when I began to become jaded by the governments attitude to education, and the realisation that it doesn't actually get much easier hit me. I love teaching but no longer have rose tinted glasses about the job - it is tough, it involves long hours, its high pressure and it isn't even reconised and appreciated by british society anymore thanks to Mr Gove and the media. The thought of still working these hours when Im middle aged with children fills me with dread, and I hope to have enough money saved to follow my dreams before then.
    Thank god for the kids.

10. Oh and on average, I work 7.30 - 5 usually with half an hour break at lunch (9 hours x 5 = 45 hours). When I have weekly SLT meetings they can go on until 6.30.(1.5 hours) At least an hour, usually two, each evening preparing for the following day/catching up on little jobs. (10 hours) plus at least half a day at the weekend (3 hours). That equates to nearly 60 hours, and thats with some experience under my belt. You get quicker at planning, but they throw more at you.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooooo After 15 years I still think "If you don't like it then go and do something else and stop moaning all the flippin time." Generally when I have to listen to one or two colleagues who are ALWAYS moaning. Yes we all have horrible days and need an outlet sometimes, but not constantly whining on. NQTs have as much right as the rest of us to get irritated.

I have really naff weeks, and sometimes really naff terms. But I also know, without any doubt, I have chosen the very best possible career in the world. I'd not stop being a teacher for all the tea in China!

12. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

thanks to Mr Gove and the media.

I think you'll find a lot of this cr++p started with nu labour, for some reason, unknown to man, he's carrying on with it.

13. modgepodge

Don't appreciate being called a mug, thanks. If you don't like it, go work doing something different - there are thousands of unemployed teachers who would love your job.
    Impulce, I wasn't really getting cross with people complaining (I am now due to the comment above), just putting my view across. I'm generally a pretty happy person and look on the bright side. Yes, I work long hours, but I'd rather work 50 hours a week teaching than 40 hours a week waitressing or on a till. Perhaps that's just me. Perhaps I've got on rose-tinted glasses cos I'm an NQT - who knows. Yes I have off days (like Tuesday when it took me 5.5 hours to get home due to an accident on the motorway - but I still enjoyed Wednesday despite being knackered) but on the whole I like my job. I have worked in another sector before teaching for a few years and definitely prefer teaching.

14. modgepodge

Also, I've spent 5 months unemployed, desperately wanting to work, living off very little money. Hense it annoys me when people moan about having to work. Having loads of time to yourself sounds great, until you have it, and no money to do anything (and in my case, no friends in the local area due to relocating for partner's job).

15. Having been a teacher then done other jobs including shop work and office work at various levels, I'm back teaching and know that teaching is the best job for me. Obviously it doesn't suit everyone - when i meet a doctor who thinks s/he has the best job i think maybe but I would hate it.
    Some of the jobs i have done in the past - better paid - fewer hours - less demanding - lots of coffee, lots of gossip and oodles of boredom. At least we can never say we are bored! And the children can always make me laugh. Today it was the right angles and the left angles!!
    i love my job! Don't care about the rest of the rubbish.

16. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What could you possibly be doing for all that time?

That is on top of working from 3.30-5.00 each day at school. Are you the type of person that makes work for themselves when they don't have to.

17. OK. So you shuffle off to a 9-5 and make a space for an NQT. I have 3 at the moment and they are a breath of fresh air, always positive even when the going gets tough (which it is in my school at the moment). We'll be thinking of you in August! :))

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think what hits me about education and why I enjoy working in it is moments like today when you walk your class into assembly, they all sing beautifully and then they get recognised for the work or achievements they have done. It's just a feeling that gets to you and why I feel at home in education. I'm lucky as I do tutoring and occasional supply work in a school so I get to work with a regular class but do not have to plan in detail.
    Yes - if you sit down and work out the hours and money, it's a bit of a shock. I've worked in the NHS, earnt a good wage and was no where near as stressed as I was in teaching. Not the point - I got bored in the NHS. No chance in teaching. But Gove and the media have made me really upset about how teachers are perceived. All my colleagues try really hard to ensure the children achieve their best.

19. There are a set number of directed hours for teaching.
    I have yet to meet a head teacher who has directed every single hour - I know I don't.
    I have a fab staff who choose the time they arrive and leave and I know it is above and beyond the contracted time.
    They get out of the job what they put in and their time keeping is never questioned.
    I don't clock up the number of hours I work a week or during holidays - it never comes into question when you are passionate about the job you do.
    The kids in our school get a fab deal!

20. I'm with you Minnie. I had one of those 9-5 desk jobs for years and years. Yes I had a proper lunch break where I could have a wander round the shops and didn't take any work home. I earned more than I do now, BUT I hated every day, must have looked at the clock about 20 times a day and felt it made no difference to anyone. Teaching is such a rewarding, funny, entertaining job in comparison, despite the crappy bits. I reckon I work about 45 hours a week, which isn't too bad considering and I get a holiday every 6 or 7 weeks, which I didn't get in my old life. That makes such a difference. I remember that feeling of looking forward to the big 2 week holiday, plus the other two weeks holiday entitlement spread around to cover a few days off between Christmas and New Year, odd day off here and there. That was it and when you don't enjoy the job it really isn't enough!