1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can't stand the kids!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by gruoch, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I did a maternity cover in a school like that. At least you're not getting 'You're only a teacher.'

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

My classroom is a year 11 form room, and I often come back to find my stickers, highlighters, post its etc taken from INSIDE MY DESK and either strewn around or attached to their belongings. I lock the door at break and lunch to stop them getting in because they take great delight in covering the floor with sweets/food wrappers/assorted **** and their form tutor is worse than useless.
    I've been in and challenged them about it (and bear in mind that lots of this is happening when she is meant to be supervising them!!) and her response was "they didn't mean it". What? They didn't mean to open my desk drawers and steal my stuff?!
    Ours don't even have the excuse of rich kid arrogance. They're just bloody rude!
    Our VI form have better cars than most of the staff... and their own car park. Thankfully, though, my form are well trained and it's rare (I'm not that good!) to see them with mobiles/mp3 players/other contraband around the main site. Some of the others take great exception to my confiscating such items... I take great pleasure in it :)

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Siiiiigggghhhh! I'm not even going to bother.
    Wanted to blow off some steam. Clearly touched a nerve.

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Eva - sorry don't understand - you didn't actually call him a turd to his face did you - it was just on this thread?

5. fantastischfish

Of course not! That was only on this thread! To his face, I calmly explained my (very good) reasons for planning the sequences of lessons in this way. In fact, I think I gave him far more time and energy in explaining this to him than most teachers would.

6. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Yes I thought so - well I don't see what's wrong with that, we all have to vent sometime! Don't understand what people are objecting to.

7. I know the feeling. The kids we have at my current school are mostly OK, my post-16 students are irritating though. "Just tell us the stuff and blast through it" - I do know they really mean, on't give me anything that will challenge me during the lesson.

8. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

To the OP:
    You sound very ungrateful - I worked at an 'average comp' for 2 years. In that time I was verbally and physically assaulted on a regular basis (more often verbally though). My classroom was broken into and vandalised, and the upstairs science lab and the toilets were set on fire twice.
    And you are complaining because the students are a little bit uppity! Get a grip.

9. fantastischfish

Bully for you, i guess that means that no-one else can possibly have any frustration in their job? For your information this is the first school of it's type that I've worked, having previously worked in a 'satisfactory' school in a deprived area and a school in special measures. On both occasions i found that, whatever the behaviour of the children ,they accepted that I was the person most qualified to decide what we studied. I also found them much more respectful of my property and their own (there's this weird tendancy for pupils to just leave their bag lying around randomly in the corridor because they can't be bothered to carry it, then they are indignant when it goes missing). What's most annoying is when you want to blow off a bit fo steam on here and uptight holierthanthou types start going on like your one complaint represents everything about you as a teacher. It was only a vent, jeeeeeeeeezzzzzz!

10. Facetious

Facetious New commenter

I had a double take when I read your original post; I thought I'd written it! Your experience echoes mine - last year I was in a school in a deprived area, with plenty of 'naughties' in it, all of whom were what I would consider 'loveable rogues'. I moved for the same reason as you, and I was taken aback by the arrogance of the kids.
    It's all very well other posters thinking getting uppity over an opened window is daft, but it amounts to manners. The arrogant kids haven't got any. They've been brought up to think they are the centre of the universe and can do as they please. I'm generalising, of course, because there are some lovely well-mannered kids in my place, who are a credit to their parents. Equally, the arrogant swines (or turds, if you prefer :eek:p) have their parents to blame for their egocentric behaviour. My form were really helpful in telling me some games they could play on the last day of term, and then continued to say what I could buy for them as prizes. I thought at first they were joking, but they were deadly serious.

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've been told today that my IWB has been damaged beyond repair - the insides have been crippled by a child height thump. This cannot (due to where it is) have been in a lesson, so it can only have been the feral form who use the room.
    I told them, and their tutor this this afternooon - the response was a universal "oh well, never mind. School will replace it."
    No, they won't. And it was mine, not school's.
    Indeed. Most of my students are lovely people, but someone has broken an expensive bit of equipment, and noone is going to own up. That makes me very sad and angry.