1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can't hear

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Dec 17, 2015.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I have been off work for the last week with an awful ear infection. The pain has gone but I have very little hearing at the moment (having to use subtitles on TV etc). One to one, I can hear what someone is saying if they speak up. I am going to go back into work for the last day as I don't want to have to get a sick note to cover me for the holidays. I intend to chuck some word searches at the children (which I would do anyway on a breaking up day) and a range of craft-type activities. I will have my TA in with me all day so won't be on my own. I want to give my class some end of term treats etc as they are such a lovely class (Y2). I don't know how much i will be able to hear, though. Am I mad for considering going back? If I felt unwell I would get the sick note but I actually feel fine in myself now. Any thoughts? Coping strategies? Should I have posted this in a different forum?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Remember that deaf teachers cope every day.... I know they have the strategies in place, but you'll be fine.
    Tell the children why you've been away, and ask that they remember to be quiet so that you can hear individuals.
    No other advice really.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We all understand. The overtheholiday sick-note business.

It's the last day. It'll be fine. Smile. Nice classes are always good if you pull your sad face and say, "Mrs Lardy isn't feeling very well so I just know you are all going to be very nice to me today." Make a meal of it.

Horrid classes are usually worse! ;)

You have your TA. You're not mad. You're sensible.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I would probably have done the same even difficult classes in secondary used be sympathetic if I explained the situation (usually lost voice for me)

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Good advice :) Don't know if I'll be able to hear the alarm clock in the morning although my cat usually sticks his bum in my face at around 6.30 so that should be okay.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

It'd be a great day to break out the instruments!

"Let's have a Christmas percussion-athon! Hurrah"

Put some Buble on the whiteboard and let them play along! Your colleagues will love it too. ;)

Dragonlady30 and lardylady like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Just avoid the classic mistake of making a whispered comment far too loud because you can't hear it properly yourself, especially opinions about pupils or SLT :)

8. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

They'll love it a lot more if you forget Buble and give them AC/DC.

Go on, they deserve it.

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Am definitely going to raid the music cupboard first thing tomorrow!!

10. grumpydogwoman

Jingle Bells. That'll go down a storm.

Bang bang bang. Bang bang bang. Bang bang bang bang BANG!!!

Also Slade. ALL RUDDY DAY!

(And yes. I am shouting. So you can HEAR ME, DEAR!)

lardylady and Dragonlady30 like this.
  11. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

As a hearing impaired teacher I would say don't worry. I'm constantly asking my children to repeat themselves, even despite my aids. Ask your pupils to look at you when speaking and not to cover their mouths. Watch their lips closely and you'll pick up most of what they're saying.

12. grumpydogwoman

Also it's the last day. Let's not pretend there's a lot of high-quality learning going on.

13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I'm shocked at your attitude, GDL!!

EVERY day, EVERY minute is a learning opportunity!!!

(Yeah right!!! :D )

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ugh. Ear infections are awful - worse than a very bad headache. Get well soon.

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I was on a hospital ward, today. Somebody thought it was a good idea to play loud Christmas music through a tinny CD player. I'm sure those sick patients just loved it. Not.

16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

@lardylady I hope you are getting the ear infection properly checked.

Many years ago, I lost the hearing in one ear, and the doc treated me for an ear infection. As on this thread, people made light of it, but unfortunately my hearing didn't return.

Some time later, when I was seen by a consultant, he said that the loss was permanent, but that if I'd seen him sooner, they could have saved it.

How helpful was that! NOT! :confused: