1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can't do this anymore

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Iggy_B, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

Sorry, this another rant but I'm really at the end of my tether. I've been teaching since 2004 and in 2018 moved into primary teaching, however, I've not finished my NQT and been doing supply since February of last year. I've applied to at least a dozen local primaries to at least finish my NQT year and had no luck and now with COVID-19, recruitment has just stopped. I know that this may change once things go 'back to normal,' but since being furloughed I've realised I can't/don't what to do this anymore. I have found one vacancy for an academic skills tutor and it's something that I am applying for, but I don't know where else to start when looking at alternative careers. I've read through some of the threads here but they are several years old and some of the links given for further help no longer work. If anyone can give me a pointer about where to start, it's much appreciated!!

2. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

I can’t give you any pointers but if I reply it will bump the thread. I do hope you find something that suits.

3. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

How have you not finished your NQT year if you have been teaching since 2004?

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

At the moment, recruitment is frozen everywhere. Best thing to do is probably to ride it out.

To echo another poster - to be teaching 16 years without completing your NQT year is a little odd, as written. I can only assume you were in an Indy, or maybe FE.

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I've had a quick look at your posting history and can see that you were in FE and then did a Scitt course so you started your NQT year in 2018.

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into becoming a primary school teacher and the NQT year is challenging at the best of times but I would urge you to persevere so that you at least complete your NQT year, even if you then decide teaching is not for you - supply is very different to having your own class.

If, as @CWadd has suggested, you can ride out the current storm, you may well find that opportunities arise when schools eventually go back.