1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can see clearly now ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Jun 10, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Now you need a cord to hang them round your neck.
    And you can peer over them in an intimidating way in all sorts of situations...

2. Nooo, I keep resisting the cord. Had to get glasses a couple of years ago and am starting to need them more and more. That or print is getting smaller and smaller. But I don't want to get a cord and admit that I am getting older. Still resisting, although I think the number of times I lose them in a day is increasing and people are probably starting to think I am just going senile anyway. Oh Granny cord or senile. :/

3. Welcome to the Dark Side [​IMG]

Or a pair like Sid's on CSI: NY that click together over your nose ... quite like the idea of those myself ...

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Ummmm I like to think a cord for your glasses is quite stylish.....my Mummy told me they looked really fashionable when I started wearing them at about the age of 12 (I'd been wearing glasses since I was 6ish....and then there was a day out at the zoo...I leaned over railings to get a better look at the exhibit below....and the next day Mum bought me a safety chain!)...and Mummy also told me the nasty bullies who called me 'granny' were just jealous!
    I actually felt 'old' when i started needing two different prescriptions for glasses - one for 'everyday' and one for reading. I keep 'forgetting' mt readers when i go shopping and have to push my 'everyday' glasses to the end of my nose (not easy as I have a wee button nose - so the cord is useful again!) to read the labels!
    These days I have two pairs of glasses, walk with a stick and have a 'badger' streak of grey in my thinning hair....but I am <u>NOT</u> old!

5. I am NOT having a string!
    My class don't quite know what to make of it and I think I may have to wear them quite a bit more than I first thought.
    Everything - EVERYthing is so much clearer with them on - apparantly its not long or short sightedness but astigmatism and so I've been seeing everything a bit blurry for ages and now I can see so much more!!
    I'm sorry to go on but it really is quite a revelation!!

6. Welcome to the club!
    I have had my glasses for about a month and a bit and no more headaches, no more tired eyes!

7. Astigmatism is what I have - but you will find that it does have an influence on whether you are short or long sighted.
    I also have the problem that my left eye is MUCH weaker than my right eye. I had seen virtually nothing with my left eye for years without knowing, as my right eye had compensated, but this was why I had no idea about how bad my eyesight was until I got the headaches and the twitching eye, etc.
    I felt a bit weird the first couple of days wearing glasses (I have to wear them all the time) but I can SEE things I didn't realise were there and most folk have said I look much cooler with the glasses.