1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I can provide resources and guidance for teaching Drama to SEN and LDD ?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by actitout1, Feb 5, 2017.

1. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

Good morning everyone. I am a drama teacher and professional actor, director and scriptwriter with many years experience working with young people and adults with a board range of learning disabilities. I am keen to share some of my resources, lesson plans, and scripts with other practitioners as an author on TES. I would really appreciate your feedback on what resources you are looking for, what is missing online when you search for SEN Drama resources, and any other comments that can help me to provide useful and valuable help and advice from my wealth of experience. I have a number of scripts suitable for groups of very mixed ability and different needs which I am keen to make available for others to use, as well as a wealth of drama games and warm ups. I would also like to provide general advice on setting up a drama group for LDD including practicalities, managing behaviour and general teaching strategies.
    Please drop me a response so that I can start to put together the most useful resources for our teaching community.
    Thank you in advance and very best wishes
    Linda

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

I'd love some drama ideas for senior pupils who are not yet able to speak - those working around P2 - P4. They're just moving into the ability to recognise objects and clear photographs and may understand a couple of simple phrases in context. I teach them in mixed ability classes of around 10 students with a couple of slightly more able students who may understand simple words and photographs in context. There is often (but not always) a teaching assistant with such a group. I find these groups are lovely to teach but need a lot of energy and I struggle to find new, fun ideas for such groups.

JulesDaulby likes this.
  3. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

I think drama games and warm ups which involve lots of movement would be of interest to teachers of pupils with special needs, as many traditional drama activities for schools involve too much speech.

Are you on Twitter/Facebook? I'd be interested in following you, as I'm always looking for movement activities for my son (almost 17) who has autism.

JulesDaulby and dzil like this.
  4. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter

It might be worth looking at LoveFilm who has created some resources using widget symbols. Some similar ideas in drama would be worthwhile I think.

In addition I think group activities which help with social communication would be helpful.

5. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

Thank you for your feedback! I will address this in the next couple of weeks and prepare some resources that I hope will be useful to you. I will also alert you to them in this thread when they are ready.
    I would love to hear from anyone else who would like help in these areas.
    With thanks and best wishes.

JulesDaulby and dzil like this.
  6. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

Thank you for your feedback! I will address this in the next couple of weeks and prepare some resources that I hope will be useful to you. I will also alert you to them in this thread when they are ready.
    I would love to hear from anyone else who would like help in these areas.
    With thanks and best wishes.

JulesDaulby likes this.
  7. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

Hi. In answer to your question I am on FB and Twitter...
    https://www.facebook.com/actitoutdrama/
    @actitoutoutdrama1
    Will be posting some resources soon.
    Are you a teacher of SEN or is your interest mainly for your son?

Linda

8. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Hi Linda,
    I've just followed you on twitter. I'm a former mainstream & SEN teacher, and I'm now home-educating my son as school didn't go well for him.

9. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

I see. Are there any opportunities for him to join a drama group for people with SEN? I will check through my resources with your son in mind but most of them have been used with groups of people as opposed to a single student.

JulesDaulby likes this.
  10. actitout1

actitout1 New commenter

Hi to those of you who have kindly taken the time to reply to my initial appeal for what kind of resources might be useful for SEN drama. I am new to this authorship on TES and am taking my time to make sure resources are word perfect (hopefully) before I publish them. I have now uploaded a couple of drama games and also 2 playscripts which I have adapted from Shakespeare plays. I have used these with my drama groups with great success. I will continue to upload some free and premium resources in the near future and would invite you to check back from time to time to see if there is anything that is of use to you. Please search actitout1 and have a browse. Thank you.

JulesDaulby likes this.