1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I.C.T. In Mathematics. Please help.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dancreed1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Hi all, as a trainee teacher I'm looking for advice or tips of the best use of I.C.T. in the teaching of mathematics. I already liase with the I.C.T. department to allow pupils time to develop data handling skills in programs such as excel. Can anybody help with ideas on how to spread I.C.T. to others areas of the my teaching.
    Key stage 3/4 Mathematics Special needs (SEBD) Level 2-7

Thanks in advance
    dan

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Dan have you seen the NCETM microsite on ICT and Digital Technology used in mathematics teaching? There are resources / reports and case studies that may give you some ideas. I like showing students resources like some of the excellent online free graph plotters for example in class so they can then use these themselves at home if they wish.

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

LOGO is available and is an excellent tool for both basic (and advanced) geometry and logic through simple programming.
    BUT some schools don't like it, some advisors don't see how useful it can be. I have found round here that the KS3 teachers expect it to be taught at KS2 while the KS2 teachers believe it is being taught at KS3 and KS4.
    Worth finding out as it is a good way for pupils to find out how big angles actually are without the usual struggle to use a protractor

4. Autograph is also excellent for, amongst other things, seeing the effect of changing constants in an equation. I have used it a few times to lead pupils to y=mx+c

5. Colleen_Young

I like Autograph too, we have it at school and our students use it.
    I also like the free online graph plotters that students can use at home, something like the Desmos calculator (I have written about it here) is very easy to use and has 'sliders' allowing families of curves to be investigated.

6. No mention of Geogebra yet? Another good (and free) piece of software for both teaching and learning. Also, has anyone else seen Nrich's use of Twitter for Logo instructions? I only happened upon it for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago so I may have misremembered the facts (not being in to Twitter myself).

7. Colleen_Young

Agreed - GeoGebra is outstanding and there are many GeoGebra resources online.
    Brookes I had not come across the Nrich logo ideas - just found this article they wrote.

8. Colleen_Young

Brookes I had not come across the Nrich logo ideas - just found this article,

9. Thanks Guys some of this information is gold, I have already started looking to put some stuff into practice.

cheers

dan