1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I.B. Higher Level Maths Results

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MisterMaker, Jul 7, 2011.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

It depends on the quality of your intake, but that sounds rather pispor. [​IMG] If this is your first year teaching IB, you've a lot to work on.

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Ours got one 7, three 6s, six 5s and a four.
    Great work by the Maths department, not least in identifying the very best mathematicians in the cohort and ensuring that the merely competent did not attempt HL and spend two years struggling out of their depth.
    But it's in the nature of things that two of those who scored a six are down in the mouth because they thought they would bring off the Big One.
    However good results are, there's always a feeling of 'what might have been' at this time of year, and of course for one student a 4 at HL might represent a triumph while for another, a 5 is a huge let-down.
    One of our chaps bagged 45 points, emulating his brother who did the same a few years back. What a proud mum and dad that must be.
    TOK results excellent, as ever...[​IMG]
    In MM's parlance we must be very nearly a 'top-tier school', in spite of the low salaries and the high price of haircuts and massages round here.

3. MisterMaker

Well done on the 45, we had one too, plus a 42 and a 43 from a handful of kids. Do you think, like a'levels, they're making it easier to achieve high grades?
    Perhaps a level 2 if you're happy but low paid. [​IMG]

4. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Good point. I don't think most realise that, unlike other subjects, HL maths isn't just a matter of learning a few extra topics, but requires considerably more ability than SL maths.

Teaching and learning maths IS different from any other subject.

5. Interesting comments. I had only known these students for a few months before the exams and these results were even higher than I had expected!

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Excellent results indeed, I think the least you can do is take them all out for a free haircut, and provide a head massage yourself.
    I have not been privy to our results yet. I am not enjoying the wait, but the school is shut on Thurs and Fri.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Post #2 proves that the poster of post #2 is a ***.

8. MisterMaker

I'd be interested in knowing how long you've been teaching IB. This must have been an awful bunch of degenerates if your predicted grades were lower than the results you mentioned.
    Not really accurate but as a rough guide if you compare with A'level, you get: 7=A*, 6=A, 5=B, 4=C, 3=D, 2=E, 1=F, 0=U.
    This is why, on that scale, the results, especially with 2 0s, don't look too impressive.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Oh, I think high standards of scholarship and due diligence would require much more proof than that. It could be used to construct a working hypothesis though. [​IMG]

10. I teach HL Physics and at our school they'll let anyone in to do the IB, just for the fees. As a result I have some students doing HL Physics that struggle working out percentages and remembering the difference between significant figures and decimal places. I think I did everything I could, and yet I got a 1, two 2s, three 3s, two 4s, two 5s, two 6s and a 7. Yes, the lessons were fun trying to challenge the upper end while trying not completely leave behind the bottom end.
    I told the IB coordinator a number of times that there were kids in the group who shouldn't be there. Now they've failed the IB diploma and in a couple of cases it looks like my fault (they passed their other subjects) but two of them have also failed other HL subjects. It makes me so angry because it's been a waste of two years for those who were never going to make it anyway, either in HL Physics or the IB as a whole. It also makes me look bad, even though I clearly teach kids who get good results. But the management don't care: they get fee-paying kids in. When the results come in, they have to weather parental anger for a couple of weeks but then they can start all over again. Come October I expect to be telling management about the inadequacy of some of my students for physics, but as always it'll just fall on deaf ears.

11. Congratulations, as ever...[​IMG]

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Gracias, che.
    I sympathise with ohpants while respectfully reminding him that those fees his school is so anxious to collect are the source of his salary.
    But yes, it is fraudulence bordering on robbery to take two years of fees off parents and then set up a programme for their children that dooms them to failure. We have a modest requirement that 6 GCSEs should be passed, and individual subjects make their own demands - nobody without an A* or A at GCSE could gatecrash the HL Physics group.
    We could, of course, demand six A* or A grades, thereby halving the numbers in our IB, ensuring a 100% pass rate with an average of 40 points... and, er, seeing a very significant reduction in our fee income.
    Three of our 75 candidates failed this year, one of whom may squeeze the missing point out of a re-mark. None of the three was doomed in advance, and their disaster, like the best plane crashes, was owing to a number of factors operating together - laziness, modest intellectual capacity, misguided choice of subject(s), bad luck on the day and, yes, the odd teacher who could and should have done more to help.
    And as I always say with characteristic coldblooded Tory elitist smugness, what is the point of a Diploma that everyone passes?
    Much more frustrating at this daft time of year is the small disheartened group of students who were offered 38 points by the university of their dreams, scored 37 and must now wait for the A-level results to know whether they will get a place.
    I have some other questions and speculations about the IB Diploma, but as many colleagues are already enjoying beaches, mountains, museums, motorways, airports and in-laws, I'll leave this for the bracing month of September when there'll be more chance of a conversation.
    This time next week I'll be chugging crisp white wine down my neck at a heuriger outside lovely Vienna. Counting down...

13. It's not that my students lacked mathematical ability, they just didn't have a strong enough work ethic to do well in this subject. Apparenlty they all got A's and A*s in their IGCSE's by doing all their revision a week before the exam. They thought they could do the same with the I.B. Higher Level Mathematics exam.
    I warned them several times that they would have to work much harder if they wanted to develop the skill and speed necessary for the final I.B. exam but my words were like seeds that fell on stony ground. I was pretty much ignored and told they would be fine.
    There is a huge gap between the style of questions posed by the I.B. Higher Mathematics board and those asked by the IGCSE people. Students need to made aware of this even before they start the course. If a student is bright but lazy, the Mathematics Standard level is a better option.

14. Muy sabio, as always, dude. Yes, I am aware they pay my salary and receiving a pay cut vs. teaching some kids who are almost certainly going to fail is a no-brainer. Very good point regarding the fact that some must naturally fail, otherwise it's too easy (like GCSEs nowadays).
    Enjoy the wine, I shall be doing something not too different in Norway.