1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am writing a book on teaching.In need of pointers

Discussion in 'Book club' started by hummi7883, Mar 19, 2017.

1. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Dear TES user

I will try to be as succinct as possible but will appreciate as much help as possible from you all.
    I have completed my first 5 years of teaching .YAY!
    This is not news. The news is that I am in the middle of writing a book on 'How I survived my first 5 years of teaching in the U.k'.( this is not the title).
    This idea did not take shape until a teacher in my school committed suicide. The reason is quite obvious considering the current climate.
    The book is about my fictional characters who are going through different dilemmas in their teaching career and I give a solution to each on of them. It is all backed up with evidence and research. More of what worked for me.
    There are practical tips and tricks to get through the first 5 years and beyond. I am looking for someone of knowledge to tell me where I can find authentic research into teaching. I have found few sources that I am using but how do I trust them? What signs do I look out for?

Also, if I want to add a political angle to my book like 'under the current Govt....' will this be taken well?

Enough questions for now.
    Would value all feedback given. I take it well!

2. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

When I read what you've written, I keep wondering who you have in mind as your readership. In some parts of your message, I see potential for your project as a piece of educational research leading to publication in an academic journal. Elsewhere the work appears to be heading in the direction of a self-help book for teachers in the early days of their careers. These two possibilities serve different audiences, so perhaps you ought to focus on your direction of travel.

This said, I find your predilection for a case study approach refreshing and life-affirming in a world where educational policy and research have descended into dehumanised number-crunching. Within my own niche interest in MFL learners with SEN, I found writing teacher-training case studies a creative process and the approach appears to resonate with others. I've posted twenty of them on my website at http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/languages.

So do carry on with your writing enterprise, but keep in mind my recommendation to identify who you are writing for. As for your query about trust, you will just have to develop your own independent critical judgement by ensuring you take into account both sides of any argument and maintaining a balance between the priorities of the individual and the expectations of society. People who conduct research on their own without academic supervision are often advised to find a "critical friend" who can be turned to when encountering dilemmas and be relied upon to provide constructive feedback when asked to examine sections of the manuscript.

peggylu, hummi7883 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

The problem with 'current govt' is that unless you write and publish really quickly, the book maybe soon out of date...

Can I suggest tentatively doing a doctorate in education first as this may help you hone your ideas get you lots of contacts and then you can publish your thesis as a book (that's what I am planning to do with my thesis now :) )

4. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply. I found it really useful. I will be re evaluating my project . Sorry for replying so late as my computer was playing up and couldn't figure out how to reply from a phone.

Dodros likes this.
  5. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

That would most certainly be an interesting read.
    I have dropped the idea of adding the govt. angle as it will require extensive research in the field and I don't feel I am equipped enough considering my experience.
    Thank you for your valuable feedback. Much appreciated!

6. -Sarah-

-Sarah- New commenter

Hi there,

The basic premise of your book sounds interesting - I think it might have more impact if the characters are not fictional at all, but real teachers (pseudonyms of course): this could also tie in with FollyFairy's suggestion of using further studies to input into the content - your 'characters' could be case studies from research, for example.

All the best

peggylu and hummi7883 like this.
  7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Intriguing idea. Good luck with it.

If you went the 'real teacher stories using pseudonyms' route you could also explore the chalkface impact of key government policies over the years by inventing a fictional government comprising fictional representations of all the key personalities who have meddled with influenced education policy.