1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am wanting to start a gardening/green club any ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sa0u3111, Nov 2, 2008.

1. My school recently took part in the generation green project and won solar panels, along with loads of gardening gear. On the back of this I would like to start a gardening club. However I have never had a garden myself and know nothing about plants. I need to go to the head with a clear structure of how the club would run and what the objective of each meeting would be. Please help.

thank you

2. My school recently took part in the generation green project and won solar panels, along with loads of gardening gear. On the back of this I would like to start a gardening club. However I have never had a garden myself and know nothing about plants. I need to go to the head with a clear structure of how the club would run and what the objective of each meeting would be. Please help.

thank you

3. We run a nice gardening club. Firstly the children help to establish a compost bin and area. They make their own flower pots from recycled yoghurt pots, cans and jars etc. We made potatoes in buckets - really quick. We established a small area to look after plants. And keep up to date the hanging baskets and flower tubs. hope this helps :)

4. creating a wildlife area - bird feeders, bath, ladybird boxes, make bird cake, upturned pots, log pile etc

potatoes in buckets is a fantastic one that I do with my eco group.

plant things eg salad in tubs as it's easier to tend water etc

are you going to grow things to sell - at our school we put the produce on table outside at home time and parents leave a donation. tomatoes and squash plants are easy to grow and people like to buy the plants.

a herb garden ?

litter picking

composting

have a competition to plant up the most original recycled container eg welly etc.

Have you looked at BBC breathing spaces, morrisons let's grow site, wildlife explorers.

There's loads more ideas out there

5. I was looking around for green ideas and came across this thread, I hope you managed to get your garden togther! I saw this which might help, the generation green project is still going!
    http://www.generationgreen.co.uk/resource/our-green-dream-competition-pack
    Win £500 for your 'Green Dream'

We’ve been inspired by all the hard work being done to make Schools more sustainable so we’ve launched a new competition giving Schools the chance to win £500 to spend on their ‘Green Dream’. All you have to do is tell us how you would spend the money on to make your school more environmentally friendly!
    For more details and to enter 'Our Green Dream' competition please click here.
    Not only will the school win £500 to make your Green Dream come true but the winning class will also win a trip to one of five amazing locations. Your pupils will be able to learn about energy and the environment on one of these trips;
    • Lamplighters tour, London – A tour of the old gas lights around some famous buildings in London.
    • Glens Wind Farm, Aberdeen – Learn about wind turbines and how they produce electricity for our homes.
    • Energy Acadamy, Leeds – Pupils visit one of British Gas’ training academies where they learn about gas and electric usage in the home.
    • Nissan Discovery Centre, O2 London – The Discovery centre is great for pupils to lean about electric cars in a fun way.
    • Langage Power Station, Plympton – This centre is full of activities for pupils from cycling a bike to produce power to a tour of the power station with the staff.
    The competition is a great way to get pupils of all ages and staff involved in thinking about what they could do to make their School more environmentally friendly. Don’t forget reducing energy usage means less carbon emissions, as well as smaller energy bills!
    Get a head start by finding out about other ideas such as recycling Scheme to growing vegetables all of which can be found in the competition pack.
    You can submit your project in the way your pupils feel is best to showcase the idea, anything from a storyboard to a photo, along with 250 words to describe their project.
    The competition is open now and closes on the 27th January 2012 so make sure you get your projects in before then!
    Get a head start by finding out about other ideas such as recycling Scheme to growing vegetables in our competition pack.
    Download the competition resource pack.
    Good luck!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Have a look at the RHS benchmark scheme, you work through the different levels which help you create and use a school garden. they also have awards at the end of each level.
    http://apps.rhs.org.uk/schoolgardening/default.aspa
    We also found Tesco a great help. Contact your local store and ask to speak to the Community Champion. They funded the initial set up of our gardening club and garden.

7. Hi! I hold an eco club, we garden in spring/summer, but in Autumn do other bits and bobs.

I would highly recommend the following 2 books- loads of lovely ideas to make, I have used them a lot in my eco club. I also use activities from the woodland trust website.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Wildlife-Garden-Martyn-Cox/dp/1405334355/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323276746&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ready-Steady-Royal-Horticultural-Society/dp/1405352388/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323276746&sr=1-3

We started really small, growing potatoes, if you go onto this website http://gyop.potato.org.uk/, they will send you a little pack to get growing potatoes and some resources to support.

Hope this is of some use!

8. Colleagues, Re the above Green Dream competition, a reminder that the closing date is 27th January and I believe that if a school enters now they would have a good change of winning!