1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am taking over KS 4 classes and it's a huge mess! What to do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by JuliaBerendsen, Sep 10, 2018.

1. JuliaBerendsen

JuliaBerendsen New commenter

I just started a new position in an amazing international school, which I am really excited about. Though, unfortunately, the teacher who teaching my classes before (KS 4) made a huge mess of it and it turned out all, except one student, failed A&D and D&T. I am extremely worried about my Y11's as they are behind with work and some of their work got lost. So I feel it's going to be a 2 in 1 year project which seems like a mission impossible. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And is there anyone who would be willing to share their lesson plans/worksheets/slides? Of course I could offer a compensation.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

There are many resources some for sale some free on this site. Have a look and you might find some things you like.

You will have to be honest with your Year 11s and they will have to put in some overtime too.

Are extra sessions possible? Say a Saturday morning catch up club?

If it is such a good school the extra effort may be worth it to you.

Try not to worry as you are not responsible for the other teacher's shortcomings. Only do what is reasonably possible and do your best. That is all anyone could ask.

JuliaBerendsen likes this.
  3. JuliaBerendsen

JuliaBerendsen New commenter

Thank you. I have a meeting coming Wednesday with the director and head of secondary. I talk to them about the possibilities of extra sessions, I think it's absolutely necessary if the students want a chance to pass

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It will all work out. It zounds as though you lime the school and of the directors are supportive then that is half the battle. Remember, this isn't your fault and you can only do your best.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

This is also the best time to get them to pay for extra resourcing for your department so go into the meeting with an action plan and make it clear what support you need to get your students through the course.

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I was in a similar position with my current school - the Year 11's had been taught for a year by a HLTA who had no real experience in the subject but did the best she could. I was totally honest with my Year 11's, pushed and encouraged them to complete coursework in record time, spoke to SLT and got extra funding for resources... the hard work paid off as they all passed. Yes it was very stressful but worth it!

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Good Luck in your new post but I would hesitate to call the setting ' amazing ' as I would find the LT wanting given what you have described. One ex member of staff who has been incompetent is one thing but he / she would have had has a line manager ? who was not aware / address / tackle / issues ? Of course the devil is in the detail so I am assuming much ? ! I think your meeting is crucial in that yes they will be expecting a game plan from you (priority) but it may be a good opportunity for you to size up the quality of your management team too ?

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Sadly, a common problem in international schools - I was in a similar position when picking up a Y11 class in my first ever international post, and my colleague had it even worse with the IB class he inherited from the same teacher. You will pretty much have to get them to do extra classes - see if they can get out of something like PSHE lessons or after school activities so you can see them then, as well as Saturday morning activities. The big advantage is that - presumably - the teacher who had them last year has gone, so you don't have to worry about offending anyone by apologizing to the kids & parents, while making it clear it's not your fault!

hammie likes this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and do remember that there is actually a lot of time if it is used. You probably ahve about 30 weeks left even now, at about 4 hours a week. 120 hours. Can do an awful lot in that time especially with a modicum of work away from the classroom, even an hour a week totals 150 hours!