1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that DH Lawrence thing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Watched the first 55 minutes or so then got fed up. Camerawork was terrible. Rachel Stirling and the other one miscast. Direction awful. Dialogue incongruous. Lighting terrible. Clothing looked post 14-18 war, but was supposed to be pre-war. Other period faux-pas were the soldier's haircut, and nobody wore hats. My granny was born in 1895, she always wore a hat, right up to her death (not the same on obviously), because that is what people did in those days. Also the chubby vicar type would not have worn a flat cap, for same reason; class.
    Bloody ****, bloody BBC cannot do period drama any more. Bring back Alan Bates and Ollie Reed.

2. Well Eagle was much as I expected it to be. But scenery was good.
    Haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven but think I have read the book. Is it about Knights Templar? Book was good so won't bother with the film then.

3. For me, DHL's turgid, pretentious prose make any exciting bits of bonking totally uninteresting. And I agree with Alenga - his attitude to women is...odd. No desire to watch a dramatised version of all that tosh.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

If Lawrence hadn't used th c word, he would be a forgotten puddle on the banks of the river of British literature

5. True I reckon. I know he was trying to express things that were inexpressible at the time, or hadn't been expressed in the mainstream before but...yawn.