1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am STILL only 42!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, May 6, 2011.

1. Just popped to the supermarket for a liter of milk.
    Get to the till just as they are closing, some shelf filler drops a huge carton of I don't know what and we all jump out of our skins.
    Wee snippet of a madame at the till hisses not very quietly under her breath to him "God, X, I have an older lady here, what if she collapsed and died of shock?"
    I think my look almost made her turn into a pillar of salt. She got a bit flummoxed and didn't know how much I was supposed to pay. I pointed out I had...one item. There was no addition involved.
    I did not mention that I was returning home to continue knitting my tea cosy.
    Older lady indeed! hmmmmpf. Older than wee snippet madame, yes.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Established commenter

I've got years on you and the staff at my local tesco are as nice as pie.

3. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Established commenter

Incidents like this cause me to reappraise my appearance.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

42?

Answer to the great mysteries of the Universe that is...

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I think we can safely say that, considering the OP was written in 2011, the poster isn't still only 42...

sabrinakat, lanokia, bevdex and 6 others like this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My daughter is 38, not much younger than you, and got asked for ID to buy alcohol a couple of weeks ago. All a bit random.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I nearly posted on an old thread yesterday, if you accidentally click on the arrow at the top right of the list of threads they get ordered differently. It's easy to do using a laptop touchpad rather than a mouse. I think this might be the cause of the zombie thread phenomena.

blueskydreaming and RedQuilt like this.
  8. burajda

burajda Lead commenter

One called me 'young man' the other day. I'm a bit older than the OP. Must be the stress free life I lead.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

If you spell 'litre' as 'liter', @anon3372, that shows how young you are.

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I was 35 last time I was asked for ID

Got chatted up by a 28 year old last night though :D (and a 64 year old the night before, but we won't talk about that)

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

At the Tesco self scan, when we have booze in the trolley we get the light show above the till. The employee comes along and presses the 'clearly over 25' button! I always feign indigence that they didn't ask for ID (I am 61)

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was it blue rinse night?

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Oi! He only liked me because I was the only girl in there that was shorter than him.

sparkleghirl and racroesus like this.
  14. 576

576 Established commenter

There have been news stories of pensioners being asked for ID. Some stores routinely ask everyone.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

They don't ask routinely in this supermarket, the assistant apologised but my daughter said it had made her day.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Grab a granny?

17. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Oh, I dream about being asked for I.D.! 42? A mere babe.

18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Senior commenter

We went to see the film 'The Changeling', when it first came out. The woman in the box office kept asking me, in broken English, "How old you are?" to which I kept repeating, "I'm over eighteen." My grinning wife nudged me, and explained that the woman wanted to know if I was old enough to get a pensioner's reduction. I was 54 at the time!

InkyP, sparkleghirl and lanokia like this.
  19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Oi!!!!!!!!

One of my school friends became a granny 2 years ago today. That upset me greatly!

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The Tower Ballroom in Birmingham used to have Grab a Granny night every Tuesday! (In the 70s and 80s)