1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am scared I will fail my PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by daydreamergirl, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Yesterday I got an email from my personal tutor/head of education at university saying that he wanted to have a meeting with him. When I asked he said, some issues have been raised and he wants to talk to me in person. I have emailed him twice asking for an outline of what the issues may be but there is no reply and no other members of staff at uni have been able to help me. My first placement was a horrible experience where my mentor instantly took a disliking to me saying I wad too nice and that being a drama graduate is an obvious sign I don't want to be a teacher. She made my life hell and I developed very low self esteem about my ability as a teacher and hoped my next placement would help. I complained about my first placement but no one helped me. My second placement started up well but the workload, stress of finding a job and improving my low self esteem was too much and I found it hard and struggled. After 7 weeks I had missed 5 days for interviews so the university extended my placement for another 2 weeks, the stress of this effected my teaching so my mentor had a go at me before half term about how I should not be a teacher. I could not cope with the stress but decided to turn it around for my last 2 weeks, I finally got a job and improved my observations from satisfactory to elements of good.
    The stress of not knowing what this meeting is about and having to wait over a week for it has made me very ill, I have had numerous panic attacks and woke up today with a kidney infection so had to miss school because I was throwing up too much. I really don't know what to do, my tutor wont email me back and I am scared that they will extend my placement which will prevent me starting my job in july or that they will fail me. I honestly can't handle the stress, with only 3 days left of school it is still too much.

2. barneystinson

barneystinson New commenter

When is the meeting?
    I would write down all the issues you have raised in your post and then take them with you. It might be about something completely different but if it is about what you fear then at least you're prepared.
    I would say don't worry but not sure if that advice would be heeded. They will not fail you just like that so that is highly unlikely. They should give you options to complete the year (extra days, extra time, etc.)
    Just be prepared and see what happens. You worry too much and it is obviously affecting your health.

3. Personally I would not go into any meeting blind. If there are underlying issues with regards to your professional development etc, it would be unreasonable for someone to suggest a meeting without you having had time to prepare and outline concerns you have also. I wouldn't worry as much as you say you are. You are a student/customer of the university. If you require support it is the duty of the university to provide and accomodate for your individual requirements. The only time I could see a university failing to meet this requirement is if the student refuses to acknowledge there are issues that need to be addressed. If you are struggling you must voice your concerns for the benefit of your colleagues at the placement school and to safeguard yourself.

4. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Having gone through a Uni director meeting for similar reasons my best advice is to not let them bully you off the course or put words into your mouth.

I failed a placement due to a breakdown from a bullying mentor and the loss of someone close to me. My uni ummed and arred about it being my personal issue or maybe I was not meant to be a teacher. I stood up to them and said why I loved teaching and how I had been fine up to 'this point' and that I needed to have another placement as soon as possible.

Due to time I had to do my placement the next academic year (waited 6 months for it) and I sailed through it as I had confidence and I worked hard.

Keep strong and you will be ok, good luck! :)