1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am on cover all the time...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Drjekyll31, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Drjekyll31

Drjekyll31 New commenter

I decided to leave my current job and I have a new job that I'll start in September, now that I don't teach Y11 anymore, it seems that I am the only one in the department who is on cover all the time. I know for sure that there are lots of teachers who had Y11 at the same time as me but for some reason they are never asked to cover this lessons. Is that normal?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Seems to me a great chance to do that tapestry picture you never had the time for . . . assuming that the teachers have left work for the pupils to do in silence.

If not, it's a class where you have no on-going responsibility, so again no big deal.

What would you be doing if not on cover? Preparing learning materials for the classes you will not be teaching next year? Or for the classes that you will be teaching - in another school who is not yet paying you?

Might sound a bit harsh, but I'd just get down to it if I were you.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Writing reports?

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I once worked in a school that had a 6 period day. A colleague would tot up the covers he did and when 6 were reached he went sick for a day.

No one in management had any idea.

5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

If you follow that advice above you are mad. Not sure what the purpose of it was?

I imagine there is little you can do. Particularly if your school are not signing up for rarely cover. When I left my last school I still said I would write the new ks3 sow in my gain time. I suppose if I hadn't and was just planning my future, the school would be justified using me as needed.

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

An imaginative interpretation of TOIL.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Back in the days before rarely cover, I remember reading about one school that found an answer to the fairness problem. They had a "fantasy cover league" - everyone had a team, which had to include themselves and set numbers of middle management / rank-and-file. You got points every time one of your team did a cover, and double if it was you. Apparently they even occasionally had people request to be given a cover.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

At our place the person who does the cover each term is given a theatre ticket. It means you either know that someone else did more than you or you win something.

9. Drjekyll31

Drjekyll31 New commenter

I just think that they are making cover every possible lesson because I am not staying. I have lots of things to do before a leave, it's not like Theo says that I don't have anything to do with my time...

10. Drjekyll31

Drjekyll31 New commenter

Anyway, if anything what they are doing is to make me appreciate my new school even more..

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If you don't have time to do them....

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

STPCD: "Teachers should be required to provide cover in accordance with paragraph 52.7 only rarely, and only in circumstances that are not foreseeable" Surely this applies here.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not all schools follow STPCD now - academy?

14. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

OP - I would actually take it as a backhanded compliment that they want you, rather than other staff, in front of a group of kids.

15. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I teach in an academy and the SLT have just received a rollocking letter from one one of the unions reminding them about the rules on cover. [​IMG]

The teacher mentioned above who totted up his cover periods and then took a day off. Either that poster worked with me in a school in leafy Warwickshire or the practice was copied by others!!! [​IMG]