1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"I am not OK with the system that allows certain people to fail or be chucked out..."

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BigFrankEM, Sep 21, 2019.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Angie is OK by me. She has turned out to be a good shadow cabinet member (and DJ).

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

About one-third of our pupils are seen to essentially "fail". Others are off-rolled etc to help results look better.

We can improve on that and provide pupils with meaningful courses that teach them useful skills and which will serve them well in the future

emerald52 likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

In a service industry based economy, does that mean the useful skills you speak of will involve being able to as "Do you want fries with that?" in multiple languages?

I agree with you though, that it's about time we stopped failing kids and educated them in skills better suited to their abilities, from which they are able to become valuable members of society.

I remind you all again, that John Harrison, the man who solved the way to navigate longitude with his chronometer, was a carpenter. The learned Isaak Newton had previously declared it was technically impossible to do.

phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  5. LondonCanary

No. A service based economy is more than just fast food businesses.

6. BigFrankEM

Unfortunately, I have yet to be introduced to Angie

Based on.....?
    Of the 2 roles you mention, in which do you think she has made the greater contribution ?

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I can see the argument yes...

So at English (And maths but not my area)... if they get a grade 1-3 at GCSE then they have to resit. I met an ex-colleagues who teaches the resit class and he's got folks on their 5th go. My present year 11 class has 5 kids predicted grade 3. A couple could beat it but three of them will struggle.

But the kids have to stay in education or training to 18. So why inflict a GCSE on them at 16 when they aren't ready. Have a three year course or even a four year course and enter them when ready...

But that will cost more and require flexibility on the part of schools.. tying it to employment and apprenticeships... better to stick with the one-size-fits-all model /s

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm not in favour of "chucking kids out" either.

But occasionally it has to be done. Our school is certainly better off without one of our pupils who was permanently excluded last year - he was downright dangerous.

caress and agathamorse like this.
  9. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

She never said that

afterdark likes this.
  10. BigFrankEM

I thought that was a reasonable inference.
    Perhaps you can clarify the matter?

11. mathsman

She actually said:
    “I am not OK with the system that allows certain people to fail or be chucked out. I don’t accept that.”

afterdark and LondonCanary like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's interesting though from a teachers point of view....

So it isn't that the individual has failed themselves. It's that the system has failed the individual. We (those in the system) are to blame because pupil x didn't engage with said system.

And we all know pupils who breach the rules. Not just mild infractions but those who assault teachers. Should they not be chucked out? Sure... there is the claim about off-rolling but there isn't much evidence produced for it when requested.

13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's a problem of normative referencing.

One-third of pupils always "fails"

14. mathsman

I would be wary if I found out that the surgeon operating on my child went to a medical school where nobody was allowed to fail

lanokia likes this.
  15. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

Customers can now order using machines so it's not necessary for staff at the till to ask about fries. Eventually, staff at the tills will be done away with and the fries and burgers will be dispensed through a wall slot.

16. BigFrankEM

Exactly as I posted in the title

But....what does it mean?

She doesn't want MP's kids to be allowed to fail?
    MP's kids are the only ones to be allowed to fail?

Or an infinity of possible interpretations.

What is she trying to say?

17. LondonCanary

Do you have know anything about Angela Rayner? If not, best to read up before continuing.

18. BigFrankEM

Not much point in the TES going to the bother of mounting this website then if I am forced back to the local library to conduct extensive original research of the type you recommend.

19. LondonCanary

Sorry. I forgot libraries close on Sunday. You may be able to find out more tomorrow after they open. Just ask for backcopies of their newspapers.

20. aypi

aypi Established commenter

The ones who "cant do" Maths and English, probably cant do a practical subject very well either, due to poor parenting, which is the reason they reason they cant do Maths and English.