1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I AM NOT ASHAMED... Are you?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by thebigonion, May 13, 2011.

1. Am a sucker for crime fiction.
    Michael connelly, Jeffrey Deaver, Harlan Coben, etc.
    Not a great chick lit fan, but have enjoyed a couple of Jill Mansell and Jane Green's in the past.

2. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I just love science fiction and fantasy novels. I am currently re-reading the Magic Bites series of books by Ilona Andrews - one of my favourites of all time. It was with great delight (and a little squeal) that I opened an amazon package at work on Thurs to find it contained the 5th book in the series that I had forgotten I had pre ordered.
    One of the reasons I love, love, love my kindle (apart from never having to worry about which page I am on) is that I can read all sorts of trashy sci fi and fantasy novels without having to worry about anyone spying the cover of the book, which can often feature a scantily clad heroine or hero.
    No blushes for me.

3. I am a huge Stephen King fan. I've just finished reading Misery for about the tenth time, and read The Stand on holiday when I was 14 because my English teacher saw my interest in horror books and recommend that I try some Stephen King. I'm normally not a sci-fi fan and some of his stories are hugely paranormal, but you have to completely suspend your judgement and just go with it. I have read all of his books and find them to be perfect escapism. I am not ashamed. [​IMG]

4. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I love the old Stephen King stories - The Talisman (with Peter Straub), Firestarter, The Stand, The Dead Zone, and my all time favourite Insomnia. Under the Dome is a great 'new' old book too.
    Karen Rose, Karin Slaughter, Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs
    Jilly Cooper - Rupert CB stories, and Wicked - which brought back lots of sad memories of my school closing.
    John Grisham, Dean Koontz (if I've got nothing better)
    and kids school books - Chalet School, Trebizon, Antonia Forest Kingscote series, other early school story books
    Cynthia Voigt Tillerman series, and lots of my old favourites from childhood - Little O, Pippi Longstocking etc etc (I know - very sad. The ex thought I was completely bonkers)

5. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

I love reading Daphne Du Maurier. I'm not actually sure whether I'm supposed to be ashamed. She goes in and out of fashion faster than a fiddler's elbow.

6. Rebecca is one of my favourite books. I love it. Like you, I couldn't care less whether it's in fashion or not!

7. I rather like/prefer John Connolly to Michael Connolly although I do like the Bosch stories.
    I like Coben but only the non series ones like Tell No One etc.
    I am seriously into Scandinavian/Icelandic crime such as Per Wahloo, Arnuldur Indridiaasson, Henning Mankell (very sad at the demise of Wallander), Yrsa Siggidardottir,
    My favourites currently are Camilla Lackberg and Arnuldur Indridiasson.
    My Kindle current turn your mind to mush books are MC Beaton (candy for the seriously stressed) she wrote Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin.
    I have just found an author called Terri Reid that writes easy to read but enjoyable hokum. I quite like spooky stuff.I have recently read 4 of hers.
    I have read a good number of so called "good books" over the years some like Middlemarch are just mind numbing but I enjoy most reading matter I can find good things and bad in most books.

One of the most enjoyable books I have read was Lightning by Dean Koontz. I must have read that about 6 times.

I also like early Patricia Cornwell
    Kathy Reichs
    JA Kerley
    Karin Slaughter
    real rubbish I know but you have got to relax after a day with 9BZ or 11 H&SC.

8. Dean Koontz (most of his stuff is good)
    Early Cornwell prior to her coming out and the massive court case divorce
    Camilla Lackberg,
    Henning Mankell but I'm finished with him now that Wallander is dead.
    JA Kerley
    Kathy Reichs
    Harlen Coben
    Steven King the odd ones not many.
    Per Wahloo
    Arnuldur Indridiasson
    Yrsa Siggirdardottir
    Terri Read
    MC Beaton
    John Connolly
    Michael Connolly
    Not keen on Jo Nesbo he's a bit too gross out for me
    CS Lewis not just the Narnia ones.
    Some Patterson books are OK but most are ghost written especially the Women's Murder Club
    I cant stand Steig Larrson or that bloke who wrote that religious twaddle Angels and Demons etc.

9. This sounds like my bookshelf too.I would add the Anita Blake Vampire hunter series, and the Merry Gentry series, both by Laurell K Hamilton, and anything by Charlaine Harris

10. I don't care what anyone says, Stephen King is King of authors.
    I love crime thrillers, but not really one for chick lit.
    This reminds me of an idiot colleague who was sneering at me because I was reading a glossy mag. I pointed out that he reads the Daily Express, and he didn't get why that was relevant. Like I said - idiot.

11. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I enjoy relaxing during the holidays with historical thrillers such as those by C J Sansome set in the tudor period. I am also not ashamed to say that I enjoy reading the Dan Brown style thrillers from authors such as Tom Knox and Raymond Khoury. The basic plot is always the same in them but the historical/archaeological slant is different.
    Have just finished the new Arthur trilogy by M K Hume. an enjoyable read but not as good as the Mary Stewart ones.
    Du Maurier is still my favourite.

12. If you like thrillers/detective genre try Phil Rickman's series about a female Church of England vicar, Merrily Watkins, who has a 'deliverance' ministry.

13. The Peter James books with Roy Grace are a pretty decent British crime series for some easy reading.

14. I'm currently part way through the Harlen Coben book 'Live Wire'. I love the character of Win. In my head he has an English accent, which makes him even better.
    I wish I was brave enough to answer the phone saying 'articulate' !