1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I AM NOT ASHAMED... Are you?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by thebigonion, May 13, 2011.

1. thebigonion

thebigonion New commenter

Every now and then I read through this thread and even, dare I say it, look at the list of books which various book clubs are reading, and I see contemporary literature, worthy, worthwhile books, Booker and Orange winners.
    Then, I get into conversations with people in the book clubs - they say to me "Mr Onion, you're an English teacher - what do you read in your spare time?"
    And then, when I reply, they start to look at me funny. I feel I have to explain myself, point out that I do read 'proper' books too - Thucidydes, and Remarque, Xenophon and Thackeray.
    So I'm taking a stand, and saying that I am not ashamed, and ask others here to out themselves in solidarity.
    I read sci-fi (and not just intelligent stuff written by intellectuals, your Iain M Banks or Alastair Reynolds, but rubbish too), I read fantasy, from Conan the Barbarian through to any range of pulp rubbish. I happily chug my way through horror fiction that is of no literary merit, but a good yarn.
    AND I AM NOT ASHAMED TO DO SO.
    So, what are the pleasures that people have been thinking of a guily ones all this time? No artistic merit, legacy or meaningfulness, just a good yearn to keep you occupied for a few hours - the literary equivalent of a Hollywood special-effect blockbuster.
    Some of my pecadilloes...
    The Winter of the World trilogy by Michael Scott Rohan
    The Elric, Hawkmoon, Erekose and Corum novels of Michael Moorcock
    The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F Hamilton
    I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember them off the top of my head...

2. I agree! I love Marian Keyes for pure chick lit and Karen Rose for trash crime novels. I also became slightly obsessed with Twilight!
    I do love reading brilliant books but I agree - sometimes you need a bit of a blockbuster.

3. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

Agreed. Sometimes it's nice to just pick up a bit of chick lit, something I don't have to think about.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I read The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer last year.
    And enjoyed it.
    *covers his face in shame*

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

5. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Robert Goddard
    Linwood Barclay
    Terry Pratchett- Love his stuff!
    Jodi Picoult for light no brainer read in one sitting.
    Kids books.
    Anything and everything within reason, I wait til I've read it through to decide if it was worthy of my time and some of the heavier literature hasn't been, I recommend avoiding The Catcher in the Rye,The Mayor of Casterbridge and The Bostonians for starters! More contemporary avoidance would be The Gathering by Anne somebody and one by Alice Seybold, The April moon? or something like that!
    I like lightweight literature, sometimes it is necessary.xx
    [​IMG]

6. Most of my bookshelf is full of no-brainer horror, paranormal romance, trashy crime and young adult books. Not ashamed I use my brain all day at work and just want a book I can lose myself in easily.
    Some of my favourites are:
    Karen Rose
    Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare
    GhostWalkers - Christine Feehan
    Blackdagger Brotherhood - JR Ward
    Vampire Chronicals - Anne Rice
    Dark Hunters - Sherlynn Kenyon
    Women of the otherworld - Kelley Armstrong

The list could go on and on

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Yep, I felt a bit embarrassed about that one too. I also get the Daily Mail on my Kindle which I'd be too embarrassed to buy at a newsagents. (I hate its politics and wouldn't like to be mistaken for a stereotypical Mail reader). Both guilty pleasures. [​IMG]

But I don't feel that I should be reading "worthy" books all the time. I tend to alternate between quality books (either Classics or decent modern novels), and lighter reads (eg thrillers, Terry Prattchett, children's books).
    I don't feel embarrassed or guilty for reading the "easier" books, but I think that only reading that kind of stuff would be the mental equivalent of living off junk food - it would be enjoyable at first, but after a while I'd want something a bit more nutritious.

8. I really do NOT like chick lit.
    But my bookshelves show an eclectic taste - from classic to best-sellers and things from the Richard and Judy book club. Crime novels and historal novels alongside Jane Austen and Voltaire. Harry Potter next to Simone de Beauvoire.
    I read what grabs my attention - not what some great noble list tells me I must read.

9. I can normally spell too!

10. I love crime novels especially Henning Mankell, Stuart Mcbride, Nicci French and Jo Nesbo. When I am particularly tired and/or in need of comfort I turn to Georgette Heyer. The Grand Sophy is one of my favourites Theo as is Venetia.
    I am absolutely not ashamed of my reading habits!

11. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

I love reading comics and not as a guilty pleasure. Some of them can be quite literary; others are about people in tights beating each other up. I enjoy young adult fiction a lot of the time. I would love to teach Stephen King's Carrie even though he describes himself as the literary equivalent of a big mac and fries.

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Not in any order, I love:
    graphic novels - V for vendetta is great as is swamp thing.
    Crime - It seems to be the forensic process I like best so have all of Jeffrey Deaver's but also rather like Harlan Coben (I know!).
    SFF - Robert Rankin and Tom Holt are two favourites, I was introduced toChristopher Moore a few years ago and have loved everything he has written.
    There's bound to be others but in my defence I read a lot of textbooks (Science, Art, History to name 3 areas of interest) and the above allows my brain to rest and "cogitate".

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Don't think I have any good reason to allow my brain to rest and cogitate, apart from life itself. But that's what i mostly like to do these days. When I was younger I read an awful lot of head-bending books, but now i like switch-off material.
    i can relate to that.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh, oh . . . . .not ashamed at all!

15. I love Heyer. She's funny and clever and witty.

16. impis

impis New commenter

Kane and Able is a FAB story!!!! Much better than any of his later works. I read it years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I didn't enjoy the sequel as the storyline went into American Politics and I have no interest in politics at all.
    But LOVED Kane and Able!

17. impis

impis New commenter

It was even made into a television series, back in ................err............... [I'll have to look it up]

in 1985.

Oh, and I do know its Kane and ABEL not Able - just automatically typed the usual spelling.

18. I'll happily read intelligent chick lit: Freya North, Penny Vincenzi and Jilly Cooper's Ruper Campbell-Black novels while away many an hour.

Like Beth, I read children's school stories, and will read anything about jewellery, art or textiles. Quite happy with a classic too, but can't say I'm looking forward to teaching Wuthering Heights - never managed to get past the first twenty pages!

19. I have tried her. My sister keeps sending me her books and saying it is intelligent chick lit, but it still drives me nuts.
    I loathe Jilly Cooper.
    The only chick lit I could read was Bridgit Jones, but I read that in about 30 minutes, as I skim read and then I watched the film and then there was Colin Firth and then it was all very, very ok. But only because of him.
    I LOVE Wuthering Heights! [​IMG]
    And that gets me back to Colin Firth and Pride and Prejudice.
    And swooning...

20. camis

camis New commenter

My guilty reading pleasures include...

James Patterson - the Alex Cross series and the Women's Murder Club series;

Janet Evanovich - her Stephanie Plum series has me laughing out loud;

Jane Green - sort of chick lit but with older characters;

Carly Phillips - light, frothy, fun romances!

Any of the above authors provide me with light relief for when I'm taking a break from studying - at the minute they are about all I can cope with in between course reading and assignments! Not ashamed at all though.