1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am just about keeping my head above water.......HELP!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Watmore, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Watmore

Watmore New commenter

My TA has been off long term sick and I never know if I am having help or not! NO one tells me I have managed t get some volunteers in but these are a bit hit and miss too. I plan for these great opportunitie sbut then a lot of it isn't happening just because I am not superwoman! I keep getting random observations, like one a week and this is stressing me out. Add to that i am mostly 1:30with these kids and that they are a lively challenging bunch. Also they are in the classroom so it is impoosible to go and set up during lunchtime. I am slowly going round the bend! HELP!!

2. It might be worth talking to your head on a Safeguarding and Welfare tack.
    There are all sorts of incidents that would require more than one insured adult in the room.
    What if there's a child who needs help with a toileting accident, who is supervising the other 29?
    Or if there's a first aid incident. What if you need to go to the toilet yourself, or talk to a parent?
    I'm sure someone like Msz would know the legal requirements better than I and could send you a link to the statutory requirements that you could show your head.
    I don't know how I'd manage without a TA long term - it's bad enough when they're off for a day!!

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm assuming you are in reception?
    if so the bad news is that the legal requirement is one teacher to 30 children
    the government response to the EYFS review states
    Reception class ratios and the role of support staff (in line with Tickell’s recommendation on this). Our work showed that the average teacher:child ratio is currently about 1:26. When support staff are included, the adult:child ratio is about 1:15. This means that Reception classes are already better staffed than the legal requirements demand. We therefore do not propose to change the existing requirement which is that there should be no more than 30 children to one teacher, but will continue to monitor adult:child ratios. In due course we will reflect on the outcome of the Nutbrown review (which is looking at the qualifications and roles of staff across the early years, including support staff in Reception classes) to consider any relevant findings.