1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am going to resign at half term, and not work notice...will they terminate contract immediately.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pibydd, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I believe that compromise agreements will have a reference that says 'To whom it may concern.' You want a reference that names the person that requested it, although the content of the reference won't change.

2. I resigned from a teaching job and didn't work notice. I had been signed off sick but wanted to be free so just told them I wasn't going back. It was the best thing I ever did.
    I didn't bother with a reference from them because I hadn't been there long. I used my previous school - but I had decided I didn't want another teaching job anyway. It made it slightly difficult but I did get another job (I was lucky). Probably yes, getting a reference is an important consideration but leaving a teaching job really doesn't spell the end of your useful working life.
    Just one other thing - it is true that they can sue for breach of contract but they can only claim the money for a supply teacher. As they already have your wages to put towards it they can't in reality get anything out of you. No-one can really make you work notice in any job (well apart from the army where they arrest you). The only real downside is the reference issue.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You're very , very unlikely to be sued - I know of no school that has ever done so as the costs, etc outweigh the potential payback.
    The reference issue, however, is critical. And whilst application forms may not be able to ask you about your time off, a reference can - the law simply says that a decision on employing you cannot be made on the basis of your sickness record. If the head were asked about your performance in the past year, for example, s/he would be giving false information if s/he did not say something like, 'As Ms Brettgirl was only in school for (insert days as fraction of year), I am unable to give an opinion or details on her performanc ein the classroom'.

4. Yes, exactly.
    I also think that outside teaching it would be more of a problem because you don't have a union in the same way to negotiate a fair reference.
    The position I was in the head couldn't have written anything other than confirming the time I worked there. It wouldn't have been any use to me in the postion I was in. It was more useful to get my previous head to write that actually I was a good worker! I would have needed it though if I had tried to get another teaching job and I think it would have been difficult.

5. I'm really confused :( all application forms I have filled in have asked for two references anyway. I've put old school where I know I'll get a really good reference. I've said they can contact them before interview. And I've put new school and ticked box for reference after interview. I've had 6 days off sick out of 34 so far which I know is pretty

bad but could be explained. Seeing as they cant not employ somebody on grounds of sickness, surely if they decide they wanna employ you then check references and decide not to then what they're doing is illegal?
    Brettgirl2 how long did it take you to get other job and how long were you at the school if you font mind me asking? Sorry if you don't wanna say.
    Apricot x

6. Middlemarch

Ah - schools are not supposed to seek references after interview. Safeguarding says heads should look at references prior to interviews, in case there are any anomalies that need querying during the interview.
    Just because the box is there on the form doesn't mean they won't do it, I'm afraid.

7. But I'm not applying for teaching jobs. I'm leaving teaching.can other jobs check even if you'd said no? It's not a problem cos I've handed my notice in anyway

8. Middlemarch

Sorry, I didn't realise - apologies if I've not paid attention well enough!
    Of course, in other jobs (as long as it's not working with children or young people), it's often accepted that references aren't sought until after interviews.