1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am going to resign at half term, and not work notice...will they terminate contract immediately.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pibydd, Feb 10, 2011.

1. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

I don't know what country you are teaching in but do nothing until yoo ahve spoken to your union.
    It sounds like you are beimg pressured unfairly but I don't want to judge. If you are of course I would think you would be looking at constructive dissmissal. Whatever GET ADVICE FROM SOMEONE WITH YOUR INTERESTS AT HEART.

2. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Yes, I agree, check with your union before you do anything.
    It sounds as though your school have been making too much contact with you whilst signed off sick; this in itself could be deemed to have been hindering your recovery.
    If nothing else, it's definitely better to meet with your HT (with union representation) to discuss how to move forward. If it's the best thing for your health and for the school that you leave, a negotiated leaving date and reference needs to be arranged.

3. pibydd

pibydd New commenter

Is this occupational health or other half? Cos if it's the latter poor, poor you. And if it's the other poor, poor you!

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Eva is absolutely right. Please don't do anything without talking this through with your regional union rep.

5. Oh as in occ health. My HT wants to meet and I will take rep but don't think I can go back.

6. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If you really can't go back and no adjustments can be made, then talk to your union and look at a compromise agreement. It would be better than going down the capability route.
    Also go to CAB and discuss the benefits situation.

7. But if I do what I said in OP what happens to pay? X

8. If you have a medical certificate from your doctor stating you are unfit for work then I dont think your pay can be affected as you are essentially sick during your notice period. You do need to clarify this with your union though, who may be able to negotiate an exit package for you depending on the circumstances.
    Good luck and take care.

9. What does an exit package entail?

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If you resign by the February deadline for Easter you will be paid until the end of April, provided you have a sick note to say you are inful to work until the end of term.If you do not return and the doctor has deemed you fit (I'm not sure what would be the case for you), the school would be within their rights to dock your pay.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

'inful'? unfit!

12. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Moreover, if you simply say, "I'm not coming back, so there" and refuse to come back to work (or have another sick note issued that covers your paid absence) then the school would be within its rights to take action for breach of contract....or something similarly legal-sounding.
    Seriously, if you feel you cannot go back to work, seek support from your GP and seek union support in contacting your headteacher to negotiate how to move forward, whether that's by putting in your notice before half-term (enabling you to leave at Easter, with a sick note to cover the intervening time) or by negotiating immediate termination of your contract with a negotiated reference.
    Either way, contact your union for support.
    Oh, and good luck! I hope you feel a lot better soon. xxx

13. Many thanks for everyones kind advice x

14. Torey

Do you think it is a good idea? I read your other thread and it sounds like your partner is going to lose his job and not teach again. If you take this route you would also find it difficult. I know that you are stressed by life circumstances at the moment, but do you not think both of you unemployed with a child will be even more stressful?
    Sorry if I have misunderstood the situation, but I would talk to your union about the long term consequences. I wouldn't want you to escape a stressful situation now, but end up in an even worse one. x

15. No. I dont think it is a good idea. Not at all. But I am not going to be able to go back, and they are stressing me out even more by pushing about going back. I try not to think about the long term consequences as tbh I am struggling with a day at a time atm. x

16. I think in your circumstances I would try to negotiate a reference from them before handing in your resignation.
    I understand the stress you must currently be under but I am also inclined to agree with Torey about the long term problems this could cause.
    I'm sorry x

17. Torey

If they are pushing you to return too soon and that is causing you stress, then ask for all communication to be through your union.
    I agree that you should get an agreed reference before leaving. Make sure that you try to get one that they agree to personalise for each job rather than a 'To whom it may concern' as it will put people off.
    Look at the benefits situation and whatever you do make sure you can pay the mortgage etc if you make this decision.

18. Sorry to hijak your post but was wondering similar things in regards to references and didn't see point of starting a new thread. Also hope you are feeling ok. Why does nobody recognise how big of a problem this is!

I started at a new school before xmas and have had an awful time. Union involved but tbh I don't think I could face staying there anyway. I've was signed off for a week last monday and told to go back after week up. Went to dr today, he didn't think I was ready to go back and was pretty insistent about it, however, I insisted I wanted to go bk as it's only 4 days until half term and I don't want to get a bad reference in terms of sick days. My other half now is really mad at me as he doesn't tthink I'm ready to go back either.

I'm leaving teaching and handing my resignation in on Friday. I'm massively worried about refernces though, which is only adding to my stress. What would happen in terms of a reference if I've had time off with stress and anxiety and I've only been there for just over a half term? My union are involved as school expecting truly ridiculous things of us.

Like most of us, I'm not workshy, I'm genuinely really unwell. I know I'm resigning so somebody else can do the job better than me and so I can be happy and healthy in a non-teaching job. I'm just massively stressing about how it will affect my reference :( I don't want to make myself more ill for the sake of a stupid bloody reference but at same time don't want to ruin career prospects, eeeeek!

19. Torey

Application forms can no longer ask for the amount of days you've had off.
    Don't make decisions when you are not well.
    See if your union can get an agreed reference that is personalised.

20. Can anyone explain this 'agreed reference that is personalised' please? I've heard it elsewhere, but surely every reference should be personalised?