1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am going to be an internal candidate...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_like_food, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Have an interview next week

When I worked at this school, I did work there for a fair number of months, so am worried the other candidates are going to find out (tbh I don't think it's their business, the Head has been adamant they want the best person for the job)

Is there anybody out there who has been an internal candidate and could possibly dispense some advice as to what to do during those awkward conversations?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

But you're not an 'internal' if you're not working there at present. If asked you could say you're 'familiar with the school' having been there on supply if you wanted to say anything.
    Just remember to sell yourself at interview, don't assume they know all about you, because you've worked for them, there will be members on the interview panel who don't know you.Apparently this is one of the most common mistakes if you know some of the interview panel.
    Best of luck! Fingers crossed.

3. Thank you :)

True, but I only left in July and that was more to do with adjustments within staffing structures than wanting to let me go, and because the maternity doesn't start until next month they could not really keep me on the books if there was nowhere for mr to go

But you're right, the governors don't really know who I am, and at the end of the day they may well go with one of the other candidates.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was an internal candidate for a promoted post last year for the first time ever. It was a huge shock and not something I would do lightly again.

The other candidates were mostly fine about it. One made several barbed comments, but was so horrible all the time that it just made me feel he didn't have a hope and so was quite comforting in a way.

Be prepared for the fact that the lovely HT and DH who are smiling and friendly and welcoming all the time are suddenly really horrible, grumpy miserable people. They are possibly trying so hard not to show favouritism that they go the other way. This completely threw me on the day, as I hadn't expected it at all, though I found out since it is quite normal!

Very best of luck and just be as brilliant as you can.

5. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

If you expect the other candidates to be happy about an 'internal' then think again. Whilst advertising a position is a must it is also very frustrating to be beaten to the post by an internal candidate. Do you need to let the other candidates know this bit of information?

6. Well it's not like I'm going to offer the information- but these things always seem to get sussed out in the end.

7. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

Just lie. Do you work here? Nope! It's not like your nose is going to suddenly start growing!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is pointless lying. A child will come and say 'Hi Miss Minnie' or a member of staff will grin at you or some such.

I wouldn't (and didn't) volunteer the information, but didn't hide it or lie about it either. The HT might even say hello to all and introduce people and then mention you know everyone already. If you have lied you will look really bad.

You can at least simply say you worked there on a temporary contract for a few months last year and yes it is a lovely school. No need to give details about dates and the like.

And you need to be absolutely clear the internal most definitely does NOT always get the post. (I didn't!)