1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am furious!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by leavinglondon, Sep 14, 2011.

1. I got home on Friday to see my son (5 years old) wrapped up in bed with severe head ache. He had been playing in the playground and bumped into the climbing frame at school and ended up losing 4 upper teeth. He told my OH that another child had taken him to an adult in the playground but he was simply told to get some tissue to stop the bleeding. This information was not passed on at the end of the day when he was collected by my friend.On Monday, my OH made enquiries and was told, by his teacher, that according to the policy, accident notes are only sent out in reception class or if children have had ‘head injuries'. I personally think such policy is ridiculous. Losing a tooth is already painful, but for a young child to have lost 4, with no pain relief, simply compounds it! And by the way, where is his mouth - on his feet?
    After school on Monday, we were given a copy of the accident note to say that my son had in fact, reported the matter to the adult on duty. But my question is, why did they make a note of the accident since it was not a ‘high profile' accident? What is the point?
    Since then, we have been trying to meet or talk with the head teacher to discuss the issue with the hope that the school would review this policy, in light of the accident but we are constantly being fogged off. It makes me wonder what else I will come home to hear given that we will only be contacted if there is a ‘head injury'.
    I feel deeply let down and so does my son! I know that accidents WILL happen! As a teacher myself, I know I could not even dream of dealing with an accident the way this has been dealt with.
    Other parents have complained of similar incidents which they have deemed ‘serious' but were clearly not informed because they were not injuries to the head eg one who had also bumped into the same wretched climbing frame and split his lip open.
    I am not implying that they should inform me if he had broken a nail or something trivial. But as it is, I feel that history will repeat itself here since we are constantly being avoided by those who have the power to make the right change to this absurd policy.
    I don't think I am being unfair/unreasonable in expecting a note to say, ‘watch me, I have had an accident ....' but if I am, please tell me.
    Just needed to rant!!!

2. I got home on Friday to see my son (5 years old) wrapped up in bed with severe head ache. He had been playing in the playground and bumped into the climbing frame at school and ended up losing 4 upper teeth. He told my OH that another child had taken him to an adult in the playground but he was simply told to get some tissue to stop the bleeding. This information was not passed on at the end of the day when he was collected by my friend.On Monday, my OH made enquiries and was told, by his teacher, that according to the policy, accident notes are only sent out in reception class or if children have had ‘head injuries'. I personally think such policy is ridiculous. Losing a tooth is already painful, but for a young child to have lost 4, with no pain relief, simply compounds it! And by the way, where is his mouth - on his feet?
    After school on Monday, we were given a copy of the accident note to say that my son had in fact, reported the matter to the adult on duty. But my question is, why did they make a note of the accident since it was not a ‘high profile' accident? What is the point?
    Since then, we have been trying to meet or talk with the head teacher to discuss the issue with the hope that the school would review this policy, in light of the accident but we are constantly being fogged off. It makes me wonder what else I will come home to hear given that we will only be contacted if there is a ‘head injury'.
    I feel deeply let down and so does my son! I know that accidents WILL happen! As a teacher myself, I know I could not even dream of dealing with an accident the way this has been dealt with.
    Other parents have complained of similar incidents which they have deemed ‘serious' but were clearly not informed because they were not injuries to the head eg one who had also bumped into the same wretched climbing frame and split his lip open.
    I am not implying that they should inform me if he had broken a nail or something trivial. But as it is, I feel that history will repeat itself here since we are constantly being avoided by those who have the power to make the right change to this absurd policy.
    I don't think I am being unfair/unreasonable in expecting a note to say, ‘watch me, I have had an accident ....' but if I am, please tell me.
    Just needed to rant!!!

3. As a parent I would not have been willing to let this go. I ring parents about any injury as a courtesy to tell them what has happened and what we've done about it, especially for younger children. They all appreciate this and want to know. A phone call takes a minute and is worth the little effort it takes. In this case you should have been called in as soon as the injury was discovered. As it was discovered late a huge apology should have been the schools response. How didn't anyone notice? To tackle this with the school I would write to the chair of governors and Head and request a written response. This is polite but clear and determined!

4. I'm the same...always give a quick ring, have very tight head injury procedures and 'if in doubt, ship em out'
    I wouldn't let this drop, the consequences of them not tightening up their procedures don't bear thinking about

5. I always contact parents immediately with any head injury, you cannot take any chances, four teeth? this is serious. Contact the GB if you cannot speak with the head.

6. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A little mention of the Health and Safety Executive might have some sway too.
    TBH, I can hardly believe the response from the school. When a little-un is hurt, they want mum or dad or gran, not Miss!

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

we always phone about a head injury or bang to the head.As for loosing teeth most definately ,we have saved teeth and children have gone straight to the dentist after an incident similar to the one you have described.

8. I agree with the above. It might be worth contacting the H&S dept at the Local Authority to see what they might say.

9. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

I would contact the chair of Governors and call the police/social services!!!

10. In one of my previous schools we use to put a sticker on each child who had bumped his head. It was a sticker of Mr Bump and said 'I've bumped my head'! It was a really easy way for all staff to know to keep and eye and parents to spot it when the child when home. Perhaps you could buy some stickers to give to the school office?
    But I do agree any bang should be reported.
    B