1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am finally mature enough to take my life into a positive direction. Is this BEd course good for getting into primary/secondary school teaching?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by dream2reality, Jul 17, 2011.

1. <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>UCP Marjon - University College Plymouth St Mark & St John (P63)</td><td>qualification</td></tr><tr><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td>Mathematics - Secondary Education (G1X3)[​IMG]</td><td>2FT Hon BEd</td></tr></table>
    Here is the webpage which goes into a fair amount of detail about the course.
    http://www.marjon.ac.uk/courses/courses/coursesearchbysubjectarea/educationandteachertraining/qtsundergraduatecourses/bedhonssecondaryeducationandmathematics/
    I quote:
    "With QTS, this is an accelerated 2 year, full-time course training you
    to become a secondary Maths teacher. The course is designed for
    students who have studied Mathematics at A Level or equivalent and have
    successfully studied beyond this level (e.g. Foundation Degree, HNC,
    HND, first year of a BA)."
    Am I right in saying that with a QTS qualification like this, I will be qualified to teach in secondary schools teaching Maths? The second year of the degree is primarily teaching in schools, so I will have some experience as soon as I graduate. Will I have to do further qualifications to become employable?
    I haven't heard of Marjon College in Plymouth before. I don't want to waste time doing a 2 year course at a college if it won't essentially guarentee employment soon after I finish.
    I have got good GCSE grades, have an A-Level in Mathematics (got an A), and successfully finished my first year of a Computer Science degree, which included 1 degree level Maths module.

Any advice regarding my choice of course, or other better routes to take would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Andy

2. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

What do you think QTS stands for?
    If you cant find this out for yourself then you are not fit to teach in secondary school regardless of your qualifications.

3. DM

DM New commenter

I can be abrupt but some of you make me look like a pussycat.

4. I started typing a reply a few hours ago but then got bored ... basically the I was saying that I disagree with the first few words of your title, OP.
    If you can't find these basic details out yourself then you are NOT mature (nor sensible) enough for teaching. I may be wrong, but it seems that you are one of a growing number of people who, as soon as they have a question, look for someone on the web to answer it for them. Forums like these are great for sharing ideas, having discussions, and looking for extra information. You will (or, at the very least, should) get shot down pretty quickly if you can't carry out the most basic of research yourself before asking such simple questions.
    Have you looked at the TDA website? Either www.tda.gov.uk or www.teach.gov.uk ... you will find plenty of information on there with details of the various ways to train to become a teacher.
    Also, no course will "essentially guarantee" you a job at the end of it. That will be down to you and the market at the time. If, however, you have gained full QTS then, yes, you will have the <u>s</u>tatus of a <u>t</u>eacher who is <u>q</u>ualified. (Was that last bit tooo sarcastic?)

5. The course sounds ideal Andy and yes, QTS means your have qualified teacher status: you will be able to take a job in a state school. Often people do a PGCE and then have to complete a year of teaching to gain QTS.
    Plymouth/Devon is a lovely part of the country and best of luck with your course.

6. Hi Andy, it's looks to me as though this is a course which genuinely leads to employment - you may just want to give some information about the course in your covering letter when applying for jobs as this is a new route in to teaching to me. Good Luck!

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Andy, sounds like a good course. Try not to be put off by the negative ramblings of a few - but, in a strange way, such posts represent only the start of what is really quite a tough process, so you'll need to be ready to take some knocks along the way. Stay positive - the rewards for success are considerable.

8. Thanks for the replies so far. I agree my OP seems quite silly. Obviously I know QTS means you have a Qualified Teacher Status.
    I perhaps should have said "Will I have a chance to get qualified since I am up against all the people who have full maths degrees with an additional QTS qualification".
    For some reason I dont see why I would ever be picked for the job, even though I feel I'm quite a good teacher, since there must be so many people with full maths degrees and teaching qualifications. My knowledge wont compare to theirs.

9. DM

DM New commenter

Most mathematics teachers do not have degrees in mathematics.

10. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Really - what sort of Post graduate certificate in education does not give you QTS?

11. DM

DM New commenter

QTS is a permanent award Sara. It does not expire.

12. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

You dont lose QTS - you do lose the option to be employed in a state school - if you fail your NQT year.

13. Thanks Mike, that was what I was trying to get across and apologies for having bungled it.

14. my goodness, some posters have got out of the wrong side of the bed! plz don't apologise for others rudeness siddons_sara
    anyways..these 2 year courses are fantastic, very intensive with all the waffle cut out. I took one myself and it was the best thing I ever did. You do need to be aware that you may have to set your sights a bit lower initially, iI worked in some crummy places whilst proving myself and now work in a great place. Someone with a PGCE would prob find a better school for their NQT year but teaching is a vocation, it is really not about having the best paper quals and HOD and HT know that too.
    also in my experience, teacher training providers do not hold these courses in the same esteem as PGCE, e.g. PGCE students tend to get the better link-schools AND the better lecturers than the BEd students.
    good luck whatever you decide.

15. Well, I am sorry to hear that...
    ... I did BEd at MMU. The course was fantastic and we were not disadvantaged in comparison to the PGCE's ...
    ... perhaps it was because we were mainly 'mature' students and the PGCE's so young...