1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am extremely upset...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PatiencePeace, Oct 9, 2020.

1. PatiencePeace

PatiencePeace New commenter

I don't want to become a teacher anymore. I despise the constant shouting.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

By "become" I assume you are a trainee in a difficult school?

You need to speak to your mentor.

Curae, nomad, Pomza and 3 others like this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Shouting is stressful and ineffective, but can sometimes seem like the only way of getting through.
    If it's you being too shouty, try and think outside the box. What you are trying to do is not working, for what may be a whole range of reasons. In the short term you need to do something different and approach the original problem a different way.
    It may be that one or two students need to have individual work, whether this is a talking to from you, someone senior, or working in solitude I can't tell.
    Try to relax over the weekend. We've all shouted too much at times. Maybe your HoD or mentor can help.
    Good luck.

Curae and littlejackhorner like this.
  4. Qwerty139

Qwerty139 New commenter

Get out while you can, before you become trapped by the 38k salary....Becoming a teacher is the worse mistake I made...

pepper5, roman_eagle and jlishman2158 like this.
  5. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

£38k???

6. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

I agree. Trapped by a great salary of £37.000 but you have to sell your soul to the devil for it.
    I wish I dropped out when my mentor bullied me during teacher training. I can’t afford to do anything else as I would be on an entry- level salary.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

And the dilemma is?

Who is shouting?

pepper5 and PGCE_tutor like this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

And some people make even more....:eek:

pepper5 likes this.
  9. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Quit and find something you look forward to doing.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  10. TrueFaith

TrueFaith Occasional commenter

Make the conscious decision to not shout. Tell your kids that you are not going to shout. Tell them why you are not going to shout, and that it is not that you are a pushover, nor is it that your standards for behaviour are any lower than your colleagues. Poor behaviour will be dealt with, swiftly, sharply and dispassionately, and it doesn't deserve the energy and effort that goes into shouting.

Then shower praise on the ones who are getting it right. Make sure you catch them, and show that you care about them doing the right thing.

It's not going to change next week, but you will be able to make a considerable difference through the drip drip drip of positivity, as well as that change in mindset.

11. Delerium

Delerium New commenter

This is excellent advice.

pepper5 and jlishman2158 like this.
  12. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

That's a UP3 salary.... Don't look at the amount - Look at the wear and tear on their faces. You don't serve time and climb without some consequence that no salary can compensate :D

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Who is shouting at who?

sbkrobson likes this.
  14. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

MAYBE IF WE SHOUT WE WILL FIND OUT

15. PatiencePeace

PatiencePeace New commenter

Not me. The other teachers

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
    Piranha and pepper5 like this.
  16. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

Some people shout. Some people don't. I feel that if I shout, I lose authority, so I don't do it. But I do raise my voice occasionally. That has more effect, because it's unusual.

17. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

I'm constantly shouting these days. Still noone can hear me through my mask and visor

pepper5, tall tales and SCAW12 like this.
  18. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

I remember visiting a school that had newly introduced a 'no shouting' policy. The teachers thought it was to stop the children from shouting and they were trying hard to model the behaviour. The headteacher told me it was actually introduced to stop the teachers from shouting.
    As others have said there's a difference between shouting and raising one's voice. There's also a difference between shouting at a class/group and shouting at an individual.

I take it you are training. Not all schools are like this, don't leave the profession because you are not happy about the way your school operates. There are better ones out there.

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  19. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Anyone at the top of the mainscale in Scotland, for example.

20. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

You may get used to the noise eventually. As a teacher, I learnt to switch off from it.