1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am done!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by anon468, Dec 24, 2010.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Wow - what time did you get up this morning????! [​IMG]
    I'm still not dressed yet. [​IMG]

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

4.30 - I couldn't sleep!
    Me neither. I'm going to have a bath in a bit...we're going to the village carol service tonight with my OHs parents so I need to make myself look presentable. atm, I have my pjs on and I'm covered in a delightful mixture of flour, butter, bits chopped herb, onion, sausagemeat, cranberry sauce and I just found a dried apricot lurking in my bosom!

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Yikes - that is early!!
    Very excited this morning - postie delivered my 'Good Housekeeping' apron (subscriber gift).
    I really cannot tell you what Mr M said when I unwrapped it... [​IMG]

4. egyptgirl

Kick him in the ankle...works every time for me! [​IMG]

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Hur, hur! He's too quick for me.
    Mad ***'s off fishing for cod again. And it's minus a lot out there.

6. egyptgirl

Mine's gone to pick his parents up so he'll be out of my hair for at least two hours!
    Has he ever caught a cod?

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

He got one (about 3.5 lb) a few weeks ago and as he is the fish chef in the house he cleaned, gutted and fried it in egg & breadcrumbs.
    I made chunky chips (well, wedges really) to go with it.
    The tastiest, freshest fish I've ever eaten. [​IMG]
    He normally fishes for game fish (trout, sea trout, salmon), but it's off season at the mo and he doesn't fancy grayling fishing.

8. egyptgirl

Nice!
    If I cook fish, I am not allowed to keep the head or any of the fins or anything that can remind my OH that it is a fish - he's very sqeamish!
    Such a shame - I remember one of my early memories with my Dad was fishing in Greece and then cooking it with him straight away over a fire on a beach in the late afternoon. That was the best fish I've ever eaten.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

My French penfriend's family used to do that with the grey mullet her brother caught daily in the Bassin d'Arcachon - fab with a tarragonny oily vinaigrette!

10. egyptgirl

We just used to eat the fish without anything extra on it - my Dad even used to make me eat the eyes!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

these people were French - we <u>had</u> to have sauce!!!

12. egyptgirl

True. I had a French friend come to visit last year. We were in a cafe having a coffee and brownie and she asked them to spray cream onto her one because she couldn't imagine having it without sauce!

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've done giblet stock, chestnut stuffing and a huge tray of pigs in blankets this morning. This afternoon's job is to ice the Christmas Cake. I don't have any apricot jam to stick the marzipan to the cake. Golden syrup with a bit of boiling water is going to have to do.
    Given the timescale I am going to have to go minimal on the decoration. I have some pretty star cutters and white on white could be taken as arty rather than just lazy!