1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am disgusted!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nhdut15, Mar 7, 2011.

1. http://jobs.thisisthesentinel.co.uk/cgi-bin/vacdetails.pl?selection=938150819&src=search
    Just been looking on my local newspapers jobs section and came across the above advert, just reading it made my blood boil! I am totally disgusted that this job is for a cover supervisor whos duties will include planning and they want someone with previous teaching experience but they only want to pay £7.00 an hour!
    How are schools and/or agencies getting away with this?

2. Such a demeaning, disrespectful and intellectually insulting advert to anyone.
    One wonders whether the headteacher of the school has actually bothered to read/scrutunise the advert.
    The more adverts one reads for "cover supervisor" the more obviously dubious and insulting the job of of so called "supervision" becomes.
    A complete insult to any graduate teaching professional! I and many colleagues feel like banging a few headteachers' heads together to make them all "see" sense! (if that is possible?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

All of those things are "specified work" (as defined by the relevant Regulations). Those same Regulations make it clear that there are times when support staff can undertake that specified work. It may be morally/intellectually wrong but there is nothing strange with the advert suggesting that aspects of specified work may be required.

4. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I may sound like a doom merchant, but that advert just sums up, while we are finished. Once the use of CS to teach was kept quiet, now they are coming into the open because it as become acceptable and the norm. Teachers are slowly beprofessionalised and forced to become CS to earn an income. I have said it before and I will say it again, highly qualified supply teachers and also permanent teachers could be eventually phased out, as England return to 1850's style of education, when any person could teach children. At least we will not have to put up with the stupid and misleading TDA adverts.

5. I can remember a time when the unions believed in professionalising teaching, to be considered on a par with other professionals.

The future is about degrading the role of teacher, and degrading future incomes to match the lower status

The unions have just bowed their heads, this situation is not the same in other EU countries, supply pay was quoted by the government as just 0.18% of the staffing bill, it did not have to go this way. Shame on the unions

6. Anybody in the Bradford area like a job as a Cover Supervisor? Pay 17.06 - 29.06 per hour.
    This is a job advertised on the Reed web site.

7. What will happen to the much trumpeted and prestigious Teach First Programme for top quality graduates? I.e. Honours graduates...is that all bull+++++?
    Is that now all a piece of deceptive nonsense?

8. £29.06 an hour for CS? That's more than I get on M6. Can't be right.

9. Here's the link

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/searchresults.aspx?s=152&ns=True&sr=1&FromSector=1&l=Yorkshire+and+Humberside

It does say all that!
    21 applications but only about 2 on each of the other adverts for Bradford.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well i was in a school the other day when I had a 'spare lesson' & had to 'cover' for an HLTA, but was told being HLTA she wasn't required to set cover work & then another staff member said 'Why not if she's being paid £23 an hour?' My immediate reaction was also 'That's a mistake' but was informed, No, top of scale HLTA gets that.
    My immediate reaction was, Why am I working as a supply with all that entails when HLTA where she only teaches small groups, no reports, parents' evenings etc ?

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That was what struck me that working as a TA (which many do before getting QTS) they'd actually have to drop their pay?