1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am brooooody!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Mar 15, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Now katycustard, that's not too helpful. supposed to be talking me out of it! Mine are 24,23 and nearly 18. I'm over 45, but as far as I know not changing yet.
    I'm impressed and in awe of your situation - did you make the decision to pause between numbers 3 and 4, or was it more, shall we say, spontaneous? you don't have to answer if that's too personal!

2. giraffe:

just

don't

do

it

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I'm hoping for a very occasional visit and no more, there's no way that they are staying with me. In fact I plan to move so they can't find me [​IMG]

4. One of my sister's friends has recently had her 3rd baby at 44. She had her 1st at 18 and her 2nd at 20, so there's quite a big age gap! She also has 2 grandchildren and was pregnant at the same time as her daughter :)

I'm 37 and pregnant with my 3rd (daughter is 12 and son is almost 6), and it's been lovely(!) to read all the things I'm going to be putting myself through again...ha!

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

It was a second marriage, although we had been together long enough for him to be Dad to the first children. I just wanted some of his babies! I am eternally broody. I was just under 40 when no 4 was born and almost 23 when no 5 was.
    The youngest of the oldest had always wanted a baby brother or sister and often jokes that she didn't expect to have to wait 16 years for one!
    People that don't know us think we only have the two still at home. I think we are quite a boring mum and dad this time round and tell my older children to make sure their younger brother and sister know we were not always this mature and sensible!

6. How does that work? Do you have the ssecret to eternal youth and are keeping it from us?
    [​IMG]

7. she has this portrait in her attic....

8. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Oops, that's what being old and having lots of kids does for you!
    I was almost 43 when I had my last baby!!

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I was 24 when my first was born, but I felt as though I was well into my seventies, a year and a half later when I had my second!

10. me too - how did we survive?
    (by having more money but by being 10x tired)

11. I was 31 when I had my first, 34 when I had my second.
    I am now almost 43 and noooooooooooooooo intention of having anymore.
    I was pregnant the first time at 21. Lost it. Lost another at 36. No more chancing it - and I now very much enjoy my free time.
    That wee bit of it that I have.

12. I'm in a very similar situation to Katycustard, in that I had three children from marriage No. 1 and got married again(obviously, I divorced inbetween). My second husband didn't have any children from his first marriage and his biological clock (he was 40) was deafening. I couldn't find a completely non-selfish reason not to cave in so I've got two more children than I bargained for! So, living at home I've got a 24, 22, 20, 8 and 6 year old. It's never boring that's for sure but I am absolutely knackered.
    I can't imagine life without my lovely 'extras' but I really wouldn't have chosen to have had them if I'd known how tiring it would be. I was 35 and 37 when I had them.
    Having said that, I've got a friend who got broody in the autumn of her fertility and had another baby and they are so happy that it's a joy to see.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Hope you can understand the feeling when you are unable to have them, as Phoenix said,:
    'It must be lovely to be able to choose if and when one has them.xx'

14. Grandchildren is the answer. I have two and love them completely but still heave a sigh of relief when they go home leaving me comatose and in need of a large, strong drink.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Don't presume grandchildren will come along automatically. I have a gorgeous granddaughter but lots of my contemporaries have not - kids career mad, gay sons ( and I know they could but they actually haven't), kids enjoying a childless lifestyle and of course some with fertility problems. I'm not suggesting you dive back in yourself at all.We have embraced life with grown up kids with enthusiasm. Best thing we did was move house and this house is just for us. Felt rejuvenated.

16. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

I'm also sooooooooooooo broody... but our little sweetheart is only 12 weeks old so maybe i am a bit hormonal. I had great pregnancies and births - only just got to hosp in time on Christmas day with our daughter and somehow cannot imagine not doing it all just once more.....however, realistically i'm almost 40 and was very tired with the last pregnancy, we want to have a bit of spare cash and move house and maybe 3 would be pushing it. I think if i was ten years younger i'd have a big family. sigh.

hazey x