1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am brooooody!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, Mar 15, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

My little 'uns are now big and grown up.
    Am getting tempted to try for another - not a good idea since I'm on the outer edge of sensible childbearing age, as well as having to earn a living etc
    please remind me why I should just sit tight and wait for grandchildren...

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Foster lol x

3. giraffe, i think I thought you were male.
    You can give grandchildren back when you're tired. Your own you'll have for at least another 18 years.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Trying to remember being very tired and very poor, in order to keep me out of temptation. And it really, really hurts doesn't it? And I was sick for months...

5. Because you don't want to go back to sleepless nights, changing smelly nappies, having your clothes constantly vomited on, your house a tip, hunting for babysitters, lugging half your home around with you (nappy changing bag, spare clothes, food, toys, etc.), never having more than 5 minutes soak in the bath, sometimes not having time to clean your teeth or brush your hair, dirty, sticky finger marks on every surface in the house, feet in agony as you tread on pieces of lego, no phone conversation can be longer than 2 nano seconds...
    Nah, giraffe - wait for the grandkids. You can enjoy them and then give them back when you get tired.

6. Chicken pox, snotty noses, NITS.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I know how you feel, I cried when I had to have a hysterectomy at 45. Now I'm waiting for my 4th grandchild who is about to be born any day now. When I've had the other three staying over for a weekend I remember why it is better to have children young.
    I love my grandchildren to bits but it's something of a relief when they go home and I can restore order.

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

As I've never been able to have a child, giraffe, maybe you could have one for me. I still would love to have a child.

9. inq

inq

Having to go to parent teacher meetings, sorting out silly squabbles, not being able to pop out and get a loaf of bread, sleepless nights, child seats, plastic covers for pushchairs.
    Wait for the grandchildren or foster!

10. Whilst it is not the same thing - you can borrow mine from time to time [​IMG]

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not to mention all those bloody nativities. I mean the first one or two are appealing when they're little but by the time you've been to 7 or 8 in a row the phrase 'bah humbug' springs readily to mind ;-)

My youngest went to Uni in September, and the eldest is independent now - we're both enjoying the peace and quiet. We see them enough in small doses to enjoy their company, and we've always got the cat if we need something small and cute.

12. ah, yes, the nativities.
    A few years ago, son's school decided that maybe a boy might like to play Mary.
    Son's comment:
    "I'd rather have a part as a blinkin sheep"

13. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

It must be lovely to be able to choose if and when one has them.xx

14. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Giraffe after 1 or 2 sleepless nights:
    [​IMG]

(((((((nixxy)))))

15. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I did think about you before I posted this thread, but even having had children, the feeling of longing is so strong.
    My youngest is 18 soon and while I have these gorgeous young women as family, it's not the same as having children around, being dependant and needy. Might consider fostering if I don't go for overseas voluntary work in next year or two. There are kids out there desperate for a loving mum.

Thanks to those who listed the uncomfortable and unpleasant bits - must stay sensible!!!

16. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

exactly!

17. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Giraffe, I don't know how old you are but when my first 3 were 22, 18 and 16 we went and had 2 more, who are now 13 and 10. It was and is great! My youngest was an auntie to 4 children when she was born which she has always thought was something special.

18. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Who needs to be shouted at all night, whinged at all day, sicked up on and then bitten on the chest?

19. Have you had the feeling for long though, giraffe - or is it flying the nest syndrome?
    I love my kids to bits - but I certainly have no intention of having anymore. I would have done a few years ago, but not now they are fairly independent. I am enjoying the bit of free time I have!
    And anyway - what does your OH think about it? Bit difficult to do it without him, innit?

20. Blinkin eck - hats off to you, Katie!
    I was tempted, a few years ago. Although I had been told another pregnancy would not be good and a bit dicey. But I would have chanced it.
    But not anymore.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
    I finally have kids who can dress themselves, are not teething, sleep through the night - even allow me a lie in and will make me a cup of tea.
    Not swapping for babies again.
    I'll do the Grandma thing one day. And give them back when I am knackered.