1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am being accused of picking on child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by januarygirl, Mar 9, 2011.

1. I have had parents complain about me picking on a child in the class and shouting at her. I don't feel that this is the case at all -any advice?

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Are the parents ever present in the class when this alleged incident takes place? Or are they taking the word of the child (or other children?) at face value?
    I think you need to let the HT know what's been said to you and outline exactly what you believe is going on, then they can help. It sounds as though lots of parents have made this complaint, so you need to get to the bottom of it. If they are rumours, they need to be quashed.

3. inq

inq

It's a horrible situation - I am presuming you don't feel that the accusations are true - I had a similar problem several years ago.
    1: Make sure that a member of SMT are present when you have a meeting with the parents.
    2: Contact your union.
    3: Document everything.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is it one set of parents about one child? If so ask for a meeting with them and ask your HT to be present to get it sorted.

It is a common complaint when a child has got into trouble. Parent asks about school and child, in a sulk, says 'Oh I got shouted at, but I didn't do anything. Miss was just picking on me as usual.' Parents, who cannot believe their darling could have done anything wrong and if she had wouldn't deserve to get told off come in and complain.

If you feel it was a one off incident involving one child and one set of parents then let your HT know and then move on. It is likely to blow over.

If it is more than one set of parents or you think it will snowball then talk to your HT and ask for advice. Do not meet the parents on your own.

5. choddurham

choddurham New commenter

A little tip- when the child misbehaves and you talk to the parents, get the child to explain what they did wrong to the parents. This stops them from twisting the situation with the parents at home.