1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am ashamed of BG

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As regular readers of my online ramblings (if there are any) will know well, I am a Bulgarophile and I have often recommended Bulgaria in many of my posts on this forum and I have told everyone what a wonderful country this is. I am currently teaching at a school in Sofia. My wife and I love this strange little country in SE Europe. Recently we got our BG ten-year residency cards. Now Bulgaria is the adopted home of Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus.

Last night's appalling display of racism at the Bulgaria vs. England match was disgusting, blatant and completely unacceptable. I had expected better from Bulgaria. The reaction of the Bulgarian authorities, as usual, has been too little, too late. A fine and a slap on the wrist from UEFA is not enough.

For what it is worth, I would like to offer my apologies to all genuine football fans and to all who care about treating other human beings with even a modicum of decency and kindness.

2. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Well said hippo

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

I have had the almost permanent feeling of wanting to apologise for my nation and its brexit decision for the past 3 years so I suppose it's a bit of respite from that.

4. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I thought Tyrone M-ings' interview was impressive.

5. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Ditto

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I read in my online Spanish news that UEFA has censured both teams, Bulgaria for the obvious and England for 'disrupting a national anthem'.

The same news app carries a story about the handing in at 10 Clowning Street of a petition asking for protection of British residents in Spain in the event of a no deal Brexit. I'm told Cummings has already cut it up into handy bum-sized oblongs.

spanboy likes this.
  7. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

During my years in Spain I witnessed many an attempt by the locals to disrupt their very own wordless Marcha Real by putting lyrics to it...something about 'Frank' somebody-or-other, if I remember correctly? ;)

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Typical UEFA - try to obscure the real issue (racism) with something which happens at every single international match staged.

9. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

England vs Bulgaria formed the subject of a Likely Lads episode, only the bigotry was on the English side:

yasf and spanboy like this.
  10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Let's not get carried away though. The actions of a genuinely small group of individuals should not sully the reputation of a whole country.

I have met many Bulgarians over the years and none of them suggested anything to dissuade me from your previous postings.

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

i am ashamed of BFG if that's of any help

12. bead

bead New commenter

Unfortunately, even back in the communist days, discrimination and racism was rife. It is a deep rooted problem in Bulgarian society. Everything is blamed on gypsies, foreigners or ethnic Turks.
    Even the way people talk in everyday conversations is racist.
    Fortunately, the younger people are different and attitudes are changing, even the press were not making excuses this time, but saying we need to sort this ourselves, which is very different from the 'its not our fault' mentality.

There was a more sinister incident a couple of years ago when a border guard shot an unarmed Syrian refugee dead . On social media, he was acclaimed as a hero.
    If you don't read, or understand the language, it is difficult to be aware of these things in other countries.
    I also get annoyed when I hear of criticism of Trump and his wall when Bulgaria plus four other European countries have already built walls to keep out refugees, but no one seems to complain about this. It's a pity the media were more interested in highly paid footballers being offended than an old man killed.
    Hopefully, the young Bulgarians will eventually change the country for the better, but they will have to return first, since most of them have had enough and have left.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I am sure that you are right in saying that it was a small group of fans, Karvol. However, it does say something about the Baulgarian FU, the Police and the judiciary here in Bulgaria that this small group thought that they could get away with it (and maybe they did).

I agree with bead's point about the unarmed Syrian refugee being shot dead. It was only a few years ago that three refugees were found dead in the woods, near the border with Serbia, not far from my house. It was winter and they had frozen to death.

Yes, many young Bulgarians want things to change and things are changing, but rather slowly.

14. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

The comments from Krasimir Balakov, the Bulgaria national team manager, that he didn't hear the racist chants aren't at all helpful.

This is similar to what the Montenegro manager said after events in Podgorica.

I know that it can't be easy to call out your own 'fans' but when they don't they are doing themselves and the good, decent fans a disservice.

The captain, Popov, was a credit to himself, and his country, through his actions at half time and in his comments post game. Hopefully he is much more representative of wider Bulgarians.

It shouldn't be overlooked though that England has work to do in this regard, and that we need to ensure that racist behaviour is called out and punished appropriately.

Also, it would be good for the England team, and the FA, to try to do something about the actions of a sizeable number of England's away support who revel in poor behaviour in town squares all over Europe wherever England play with their pathetic chants and unsociable actions.

15. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

I must say, I find myself applauding the behaviour of English Football players after that nonsense. This morning, I am also proud of the reactions of the parents of the boy who was run down too. Yes, Donald Trump inviting them into his white house and they unwittingly were about to become a spectacle with the perpetrator hiding within the safe zone and immunity. They walked away with dignity and said that it was not appropriate for them all to meet. This is the first time in a while that I have felt a bit of pride to be British. These two stories have made me smile. I hope UEFA can come down on these idiots like a ton of bricks.

DocShew likes this.
  16. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Reminds me of my Grandad

T0nyGT likes this.
  17. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I don’t think Trump is going to be fussed about what UEFA has to say!

18. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Trump's intervention was at least in part a publicity stunt but not for the first time in my life (nor probably the last) I find myself out of step with a majority view. A person from a country where they drive on the right made a terrible error in a country where they drive on the left. The hideous consequences will stay with the family of the boy who was killed for the rest of their lives. They will also haunt the woman who admits to having caused the accident for the rest of hers. My today's online news carries a headline 'Family Refuses to Meet Killer'. Now on this thread we have a bogeywoman called The Perpetrator'. This kind of cheap Bojo-ese is inaccurate as well as distasteful.

A few days back when there was a veritable clamour of condemnation on the 'Personal' forum I asked how many of those righteous persons could honestly state that if they had been in the same position as Anne Sacoolas they would have risked imprisonment by placing themselves at the mercy of a foreign court. Only two claimed that they could.

19. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Gobsmackingly amazing...I have no doubt that the Narodno Sabranie will be debating this post, genuinely worried that your opinion will sway the hundreds of thousands of readers of your online rambling. Maybe you should sell up the idyllic place that you have bought and move back to Brexit ridden Britain. You have nothing to ashamed about. You aren't Bulgarian and, I take it that, you weren't there. Suck it up buttercup..you never wrote a post about your shame of the Chinese governments treatment of the people of Tibet or the Uighurs.....

24hours likes this.
  20. Emeritusbc

Emeritusbc New commenter

Yo Hippo I heard you like Bulgaria??? Can you drop me a cheeky PM with some good schools to apply to :D?