1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(i am actually a student)Organising time with Biology, Chemistry, Music and Jazz A levels

Discussion in 'Science' started by jamesedbrass, May 6, 2019.

1. jamesedbrass

jamesedbrass New commenter

Hello teachers of the internet. (again actually a first year A level student)

I was wondering if could get any input of the current predicament i am in. i went to sixth form wanting to pursue a career in optics, however, working 5.5 hrs a week in high street opticians has convinced me otherwise. I want to have a career in the Royal Marines Band service. My timetable is quite saturated as I have full days at college every day bar Tuesday. Weekends i work all day Sunday (10.30 to 16.30 with an hour bus there and back) and Saturday mornings i attend my county youth brass band rehearsals. I Often find myself wanting to drop a science as(*I personally think*) it would make preparing for a military and musicing career easier and make my chances of getting higher. I like BIO and Chem but paired with the saturated timetable I find it quite difficult to do revision and things properly. I am torn between dropping chemistry and not dropping it as the music subjects will obviously help me get into RMBS. on top of this, my euphonium teacher wants me to do my grade 8 this December and my trombone teacher also. And my a level music teacher has put us in for grade 8 music theory in may next year. My parents have given me the option of continuing like this or leaving home. any input would be appreciated :)

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

This is a tough one and I think we are all in sympathy - we've seen this before (which is why you are asking us!)
    But there are some special points here. Few of us know much about becoming an RM bandsman - have you researched this fully including the selection procedures? Are you (reasonably) sure you'd succeed in getting in? Have you spoken with the RM themselves to ask advice? Your music appears to be going very well - but what about the physical demands on entry? [I know one ex-Marine professionally and one who dropped out in training - the latter one of the most physically fit people I know]
    Next, try to get some clear measure of how well your sciences are going. You'll only get that from your teachers - we don't teach you!
    Now you need to consider how marketable you'd be with only Bio and Music at A Level. Two A Levels looks - from the outside - as a lightweight course and you'd be saddled with that. What might you do if you don't get into the RM?
    Then I think you need to talk to someone in college who knows you well (this is the drawback of moving from school to college at 16 - the people who knew you well are in your old school, but do't know anything about your present state; while the people in college have only just got to know you). Assemble what information, ideas, advice etc you have and then talk with the tutor/whatever.
    Then after all that summarise your options. For each option try to assess the positive and negative. Write it all down; let it stew for a few days. Revisit it. Then take your documents to discuss with your parents - it's clear that they are scared that you'll make the wrong decision and/or that you are going too easy on yourself (not a good omen for a Marine!) You'll then be in a position to explain to them from a position of knowledge what your options are and their possible impact, and to share a decision with them.
    Hope this helps.

phlogiston and border_walker like this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

The other issue that may crop is funding - schools / colleges only get funded for students if they are taking 3 A levels (or equivalents). You will need to talk to someone in the admissions service to find out if dropping Chemistry and remaining in college is a viable option

border_walker likes this.
  4. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

If at all possible I would keep your options open. You may change your mind again.

5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I think you need to get an idea of how likely you are to be accepted by the Royal Marines. Have you had any contact with them? Do you know anyone who is in the marines who you could talk to? There is a tough selection process based on physical fitness as well as musical ability.

My concern would be that, if you drop chemistry, it limits your options if you don't make it into the marines or, if you do get in, but find it is too tough and later have to drop out.

6. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Or, even if you do get in, how long will you be able to serve for? It may seem like a long way off, but will you still be able to be part of the RMBS when you're 50?
    I'd be thinking of dropping Music A-level if you are really struggling. You can still get the grade 8s in the instruments you play to demonstrate your musical talent; do the RMBS care if you understand musical theory of are they just interested in how well you can play?

7. jamesedbrass

they are interested in both and test both in the audition.

8. jamesedbrass

i have an appointment booked with my local forces recruitment service and yes there is the physical test is brutal.

9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Good luck, hope it goes well.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

My niece's flute teacher was previously in the Royal Artillery Band. He seems to make a good living from teaching the flute, so it's certainly possible to continue to work in the music field after leaving the forces.