1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am a bite magnet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Jul 3, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our patrone at a b and b in Puglia had one of those electric zappers. Brilliant!

2. xylophone

xylophone New commenter

I have every sympathy! The insects love me and I'm allergic to mosquito bites so they always get infected. I've got it down to about 3 bites a holiday now by covering up and using Mosi-Guard.It's the only repellent that works for me even though it doesn't contain DEET. I also take anti-histamine tablets before and during my holiday and apply hydrocortisone cream to any bites. I've bought Mosi-Guard extra this year - anything to reduce the risk!

3. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Although it's very unlikely, watch out for sepsis just in case.

lindenlea likes this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm using 'past sell by date' TCP. I have a brand new bottle but I want to use up the other first. I generally soldier on. Maybe these bites are worth opening the brand new bottle for.
    This is my attitude to my personal wellbeing.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Generally speaking English bugglies stay off me, but I find Eurobugglies aren't so inhibited.

I spent a week wild camping on a remote beach in Scotland a couple of years ago and there was a Lifesystems Expedition grade repellent that worked just fine me, whilst other chaps in hats with full face nets were swatting the little b*ggers off themselves. Only problem was it contained Deet which isn't good for you in prolonged doses. That way I managed to keep the McMidges off me, only to fall victim to two Tick bites when I sneaked off for my morning poop in the bracken. Fortunately it didn't go beyond a faint rash - another bloke got Tick bitten and ended up in hospital with Lyme's Disease a few days later.

Personally I'd pay more attention to avoiding Ticks than bugglies in some places. Don't go prancing around in shorts and sandals in bracken and other dense undergrowth.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Avon Skin so Soft seems to work for me. It smells much nicer than insect repellent too.

7. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I keep reading the title as "I'm a babe magnet!" ...

Marshall and mothorchid like this.
  8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Uuurghhhhh- there are mozzies in the house tonight. Only my son has escaped being bitten so far.

9. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

I order 100 ml bottles of Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil from "the Bay" and use it neat on my exposed skin, particularly my lower limbs. So far I've had no bites at all this year. Ordinary Eucalyptus oil works too. Add in some lemon grass and tea tree if you're particularly susceptible to bites, but test a small area of skin first.

10. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Do you dilute it with something first?

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

My first visit to Scotland 40 years ago, no one toldme about the midges. I thought I had some dreadful disease!! I counted my bites: 36 on right leg; 27 on left leg; 15 on neck, etc, etc.

The only thing which works with me is Jungle Fever (I think that's its name) with 50% Deet.

In the Amazon, I was told cover up with light coloured clothes. I had white, long-sleeved shirts = no bites on arms, but only dark trousers = lots of bites.

I take Piriton tablets when the itching gets unbearable - they do help.

Mozzies & midges - awful things.

Marshall likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

One of my bites is very angry and definitely infected - pus, swollen leg - the whole nine yards:(

Really could do without this at the moment.

Docs tomorrow - if I can ger in/

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That is one helluva long leg!

Don't forget the fate of Howard Carter's patron, Lord Carnarvon.

If you can't get an appointment with your doctor, go to your nearest NHS Walk-In Centre. https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Walk-in centre/LocationSearch/663

They know how to prevent the Curse of the Mummy's Tomb.

cassandramark2 and Marshall like this.
  14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Went to barn wedding yesterday. was covered in tiny black things that didn't even look as it they could fly.
    Woke up 7 a.m. (wtcluck?) covered in bites.

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

In the Amazon, I learned to appreciate mosquito bites after suffering one night when I was attacked by sand flies. Those bites hurt AS they bite you, then itch like absolute mothers and turned into blisters. Still have the scars from a couple that immediately became infected.

nizebaby likes this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ah, sand flies. Their bites are almost unbearably itchy and prone to becoming "pizzas". Our local clinic in the Philippines cleaned out 47 on one leg alone.

I'm told the worst sandflies live in New Zealand.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Wishful thinking.