1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I am a bite magnet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Legs, shoulders and arms are covered in bites - and I mean covered. I have always been like this but it's worse this year.

Got a really nasty one on my shin which I think is in danger of becoming infected (it's oval and approx. an inch by an inch). I have been using Germoline to no effect and my fabulous cleaner introduced me to Anthisan today which has really helped. Urgent visit to chemist needed in the morning!

Why do I attract insects etc? Hubs has no bites at all.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I get bitten.... at a BBQ in the States I had every natural repellant around me.... Citronella etc and the complete range of approximately DDT on me and still..... still I was the only person bitten. And boy do I react! After getting spider bites (had changed winter and summer bedding over and doubtless mummy spider had laid things in the airing cupboard.) I even had a bite on my eyelash! I went to the GP as I was a mess and she gave me this prescription antihistamine. Little green pills! the name of which I forget and WOW best drug I have ever taken in my life :oops:.. *ahem..... again prescription of course. You could have dropped an atom bomb behind me and I wouldn't have bothered. It was bliss. I completely relaxed/closed down etc. As a control freak who doesn't get drunk etc as I don't relax I have never been under any 'influence' so it was unknown. I always thought I should take some of those lil green pills on the first day of longer school holidays as I would have relaxed so much earlier !

In addition I am permanently armed with tea tree oil which I put on immediately if bitten also cortisone cream bought over the counter can help. Be very careful of any bite on your shin.... depending on your age of course but I ended up with a very slow to heal ulcer on my lower leg from a bite... which I never scratched but which didn't heal. I had a small wound when it opened but it would not heal so I would say get a GP (or maybe better district nurse advice as they are usually the people dressing leg ulcers) Do not ignore it !!!!

Marshall likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Thanks HelenREMfan, I have being using 'jungle formula' spray to no avail.

Tree tea oil - I have this as an essential oil - is this too strong?

District nurse visited to see hubs today and she said to mention it to the GP (who is coming tomorrow to see hubs).

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

A chemist in Corfu told me that mozzies love the pale, Northern European, pale skinned folks as their blood is sweeter. :confused:
    Not sure I agree with that theory except that I am a pale Celt type and looked like I'd got measles. :eek:

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Are you the female version of Iron Man? The Iron Lady?

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I understand this is the most common reason why people get cellulitis. Skin is covered in potentially harmful bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus . It isn't a problem while it's on the surface, but a bite that penetrates into the skin can carry the bacteria below the surface. As the bacteria multiplies, it generates gas which causes skin cells to separate. Occasionally it can cause sepsis in people whose immune system is poor.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We bought Smidge online when we went up to Scotland and it seems to be quite effective and not unpleasant to use.
    You can dose up on antihistamine tablets or use the cream - it does help. I ususally get a couple of really bad ones and after that I don't react so badly. As I understand it everyone gets bitten but some of us react worse than others. it does seem to be a bad year - lots of green fly on the roses too, may not be connected.:)

chelsea2 likes this.
  8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

if anti histamine cream helps, you can try an antihistamine tablet, like for hayfever. But careful about driving afterwards.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That is one seriously small shin! Get it seen to.

More seriously, when I worked in Indonesia, I used to make my own mosquito repellent. It was a mixture of 100ml vodka, 100ml witch hazel, 5ml citronella oil and 2ml rosemary oil.

Put it all in a spray bottle and use liberally.

Works a treat!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Try taking vitamin B. I think it’s b12 or b6 that particularly helps. When I was in the Amazon I was covered in bites, and I mean covered. I looked like I had chicken pox permanently for 6 months. Literally hundreds of bites all over, and loads got infected.
    One of the locals suggested vitamin b and it did noticeably help.
    These days I still get bitten but they rarely itch, though they do swell up. I think after suffering the Amazonian mosquitos, my body simply scoffs at the piddly efforts of the uk ones and can’t even be bothered to care.

11. Duke of York

I remember writing a poem in tribute to nutella's whimsy on the old Opinion thread that included the line "our nutella, wards of gnats with citronella" after she tempted posters into posting in couplets similar to those in Rupert Bear stories.

Sadly since Opinion has been deleted, it's no longer available in the search facility. I can't recall any more of it than than that one line, but I did feel proud to have been able to to construct a cohesive and possibly meaningful poem; even more so that I managed to complete eight lines with two instances of words that ended in ella.

nomad likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The theories about who attracts or repels insects and why are so completely disparate-blood type, onion consumption, pregnancy, menstrual cycle, anger, genetic disposition, immune weakness, sweat, steroid consumption, heart rate-all supposed factors. I've read them all. And this thread is like one of those legal advice please threads-everybody knows best, but no two people know the same.
    In actual fact, I too know best.
    The most compelling scientific evidence I read actually relates to the colour of the clothing you wear-biting insects will be more attracted to vibrant and dark colours, and less so to whites and pastels. The worst colour to wear if you don't want to be bitten is red.
    So dress up like a marshmallow or an elderly member of the Royal Family, and you'll be just fine.

Marshall likes this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm a bit if a bite magnet too but basically I do cover up especially at worst biting times like dusk. There are some studies about vitamin B1 and garlic and I did find I got bitten less when I took them ( fresh garlic). There are also studies about exercise and alcohol making you more tasty to mossies.
    Tea tree solution can certainly help with bites and so can baking soda help reduce the itch.
    But if infection us setting in, do see s Dr. I had one last year and my GP suspected tick bite although no evidence of a tick but I was treated with the antibiotics just in case.

14. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I get bitten if I sit in our garden in the evening. Nothing keeps the blighters away. the Oh boy do I react.. In the past I have hsd to take time off as I could not put my foot to the ground thanks to a nibble on the ankle..

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Bite magnet? Just reading this has brought me out in itchy lumps. :(

chelsea2 and HelenREMfan like this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Apparently, "Ding, dong, you-know-who calling!" does a Skin so Soft body oil that works a treat.

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Drink Tonic water. Or anything with Quinine in.

18. Duke of York

Will they be likely to put Fairly Liquid out of business? When I was in Liverpool, or maybe it was Bradford, I heard a child ask her mother why her hands were so soft. The answer the mother gave was "It's because I'm only fourteen, ain't I?

19. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

These are good indoors.
    [​IMG]

sabrinakat likes this.
  20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think the Avon stuff is issued to service personnel to ward off mozzies because it's so effective. Honestly, it does sound unlikely, but I've heard it numerous times...