1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I accepted a job offer, but the School changed terms and conditions in its written offer

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ucsa001, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This is basic contract law.
    Did you accept the job after the Head confirmed you would not be able to have the half-day off? If so, there is a binding contract between you and the school. If not, you have not accepted the school's counter-offer and are free to look elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

OP-Whether they've messed you round or not, Im looking at the hours you originally wanted-half a day off and Saturday morning, and wondering why you would want to scupper six days of your life per week rather than five.
    Guess you must have your reasons.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am quite serious about my comment on the school reneging on a contract. People have responded to those who suggest teachers should be able to change their mind about a post they accepted by asking how we would feel if the school did that. Well, that is what has happened here. A contract was made which the school has broken by refusing to honour the agreed terms.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I assumed that was because at this (indy) the saturday was obligatory and non-negotiable and the OP wanted some compensation. Some privates do work Saturdays.

5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Peakster, I thought you were taking a sabbatical!

6. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

While it is an alarm bell, I also think you were naive to apply for a job in an independent and expect them to give you the half day.

It is part of the deal in independent schools that you give up Saturdays and probably a fair few evenings in exchange for longer holidays. In my opinion you should make your peace with this before ever applying for the job.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That was my assumption too.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I worked in 4 independent schools during my career - none of them worked Saturdays (though one did have a small number of boarders).

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This... Exactly this. Even with a half day back, being tied up for six days seems a bit nuts.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

But longer holidays in compensation. I don't think it would suit me, but each to their own.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yep - I do the occasional Saturday am and have longer days (8:30-4:30), but 9 weeks off at summer*. :)

* as in - now!

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Anyone doing this is not a person to work for.

Piranha likes this.
  13. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

I'll be starting a similar timetable from September

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Awww I have one more week to go and then 8.5 weeks off.
    And a week and a half for Oct half term.
    And 3.5 weeks at Christmas.
    And 3 weeks at Easter.

But in exchange I don't complain about the 4-5 Saturdays a year I am required to be at work. Nor the 6-7 evenings until 8pm.

Swings and roundabouts.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

A colleague of mine has accepted a job at an Indy school that closed last Friday (30th June)...and doesn't re-open until the 4th September.

But she has to work Saturdays next year. But will get 3 weeks at Christmas/Easter and 2 weeks for October half term.

Infy schools (and I've worked in one) tend to operate short but intense terms - anyone applying needs to check this before an application. Mine operated long days (half 8 until half 4), but I got 8 weeks in the Summer. Nice. :)