1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I accepted a booking, but now im throwing up!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rouseau22, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Earlier today I accepted a booking for tomorrow. I felt mostly ok when I took the job, but then felt roughter as the day progressed and now I have been sick and have a wanging headache/sore throat. What should I do? Can u call in sick if you are the supply teacher?

2. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Earlier today I accepted a booking for tomorrow. I felt mostly ok when I took the job, but then felt roughter as the day progressed and now I have been sick and have a wanging headache/sore throat. What should I do? Can u call in sick if you are the supply teacher?

3. Yes! You are no good to anyone if you are not feeling well and most schools now have a 48 hour exclusion period for anyone who has vomiting or diarrhoea.. They really don't want you to pass around your germs![​IMG]

I had the same problem last week and simply called agency as early as i could and they replaced me within minutes...

4. Your sickness could be a short passing bug or longer. Strange question-if you are unable to work you need to inform the agency of your situation as either 1. you definitely can't work tomorrow or 2. you might have to confirm early next morning.

You won't be well-regarded if you leave it to 08:30, or you turn up at work unable to do the job.

5. Be open and honest with all!
    E.g. I got a call today at 0745 from a secondary (done a lot of supply teaching for them over the years). Said yes, had to deal with a dead cat on the way, no car, took bus which was late, rang to say I would be late for P1, grabbed my timetable from the pidgeon hole in staffroom, HT taking ICT, took over "seamlessly" and just carried on...mind you I know the kids and that school.
    You are not infallible; no one is. Communicate in the first instance and the cover manager will remember you positively!

6. rouseau22

rouseau22 New commenter

Thanks everyone, you are right I'll call them as early as humanly possible. i just wasnt sure if i'd be leaving everyone in the lurch if im already covering for some one else, but obviously with them being a supply agency and all... duh! i guess my brain has melted.