1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I´ve moved, and I dont like like it.....now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Foneypharaoh, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Where are you? Advice would be different depending on where you are.
    If you are in Cairo, the advice will be different to that if you were living in Kuwait.

2. Central America.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I presume you started in Septmeber, therefore you have only completed just two months; still very wet beneath the nose / behind the ears / etc.
    <ol>[*]Living overseas is not like taking a holiday. Perhaps your username sums up your mistake in presuming it would be anything of the sort.[*]It is very normal for first time expats to go through the first term blues.[*]By January you will have a better understanding of the place and whether you can stick with it.[*]Unless the school is dodgy, which as you haven't mentioned problems with school, I presmue the school is fine, you should always seek to fulfil your contract. If not it will count against you should you ever consider an overseas post again. Nevertheless, if by January you cannot see the full two years then speak with your deputy or head to discuss the possibilities of early release, perhaps after just one year.</ol>Main advice, stick with it for a while. It's far too early to want to jump ship; unless you're a complete /rse. [​IMG]

4. As the name implies, I do love holidays (dont we all?) but also I am fully aware that working abroad is not a holiday. I have worked abroad before and always enjoyed it, new cultures, meeting new people and of course the weather is always a bonus. The difference here is that I am young(ish), single and outgoing, but not experiancing the postives of being away. I did not move abroad to mix with just teachers and spend time in shopping malls or sitting at home watching DVDs. I live too far out of the city to make regular trips in and there is nothing near by where I live. I am not an /rse (hopefully) and wont leave by just jumping ship, I want to do this the best way possible, but I also dont want to waste two years of my life sitting in surburbia.

5. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To be honest I think you've got to just stick with it. Put it down to experience and see the contract out. It is not as if your complaint is a serious one. You've simply made a poor choice for you, without looking carefully enough into the package, which would suit others just fine.
    My only advice is that you should approach the school and see if you can change your accommodation. They maybe flexible with providing a housing allowance rather than accommodation, which i assume is what your problem is. Further, many schools provide housing for the initial year and then encourage you to find your own in year two.

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

A huge city in Central America?
    There's absolutely no excuse for the expats to live in a tight little DVD-watching community and have no local friends. And the language is easy to learn.
    Find a local institute that teaches it, and go two nights a week plus Saturday morning. Persuade the school to pay for this if possible, and tell the institute that you want the course to be practical - shopping, exploring the city centre and so on. Befriend your teacher (too much to hope that s/he will be a young person of the right age and gender for you)and say that you would like to be introduced to his/her circle of friends.
    If you have a half term - or when holidays come round - abandon your distant suburb and book into a modestly priced but decent hotel in the city centre (NOT a cheap one unless you enjoy the knocking-shop scene). Take it from there - if the city is the one I'm thinking of, there is much to see, and the locals are chatty.
    I agree with others who tell you that it's too early to become despondent. Vamos, chin up old thing!

7. Thanks everyone great advice, this is the first time I've posted and was just having a particularly bad day! I am learning the language and trying hard to get out, I know its early days, I think its just very different to how I imagined, the school is fine and the teaching is easy, small classes, great kids etc Its just I am used to having a very busy, active social life and living in suburbia has been quite hard to get used to.
    Maybe I just need to toughen up!

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Too true - or filling that space with lots of little bits.

If you are young then you can easily afford the time to work out your contract. So, you can't go out every night drinking and shagging. Use the time to learn Spanish. It's a widely spoken language, which I gather is one of the easiest languages to learn, and will look good on your CV - together with the not breaking your contract.

9. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Get a bike perhaps?

10. annaliddell

annaliddell New commenter

Could you move out of the suburban area and to somewhere cooler [​IMG] and more fun?
    Anna :eek:)

11. I have the exact same problem holidaycounter and you know what annoys me the most? People telling me to stick it out, take advantage of my time here and make the most of it. Like I don't try! Every day! I moved from a very vibrant city where I had lots of friends, loved my school to a small town in a tiny school where teachers have no one else to hang around with but each other, so inevitably everyone knows each other's business and is in each other's face all the time (hate that), the locals don't integrate very well with the foreigners and the school is a complete joke. I'm actively looking for another job, I don't think I can stay another term in this hell. As for the gap in my CV well, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only teacher who's left early and i have excellent references from my previous schools so why should I suffer and be unhappy just to fill my CV? Life's too short I say. You're unhappy, pack up and shift it.

12. Lots of people ignore sound advice - you wouldn't be the first.
    Oh, and do a bit more research the next time you go for a job. And prepare for awkward questions in interview about 'what did you do at this point?'.
    Life isn't short at all, but finishing a contract can be.
    Why? You might not like it.

13. There are worse things in life than being bored, Micromania. If that's the main problem in your current job, then count your lucky stars. A lot of people are a lot worse of.
    Yes, you can find a job even if you pulled a runner. But be prepared then to work in second or third tier schools which could potentially be a lot worse than your current job.

14. David Getling

Dude, it doesn't work like that. It usually doesn't even get to the stage of references being asked for. Also, the reference your next employer will be most interested in is the one from your last school.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

drink more beer, sensible advice that has yet to fail

16. Because beer is good.

17. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Even bad beer is better than no beer.

18. Karvol, Karvol, Karvol - a long spell in Kuwait and a a short spell in New Zealand refutes this.
    Home brew in Kuwait was undrinkable when produced by some. And New Zealand's efforts are quite simply, criminal. I presumed that when Tindall and the England boys went out and got smashed, it was on the wine...
    No joke, serious, it was seriously piss poor (I might have wasted a word there..)

19. David Getling

I'm with Phoney on this one. Being an old bugger, I started consuming beer in the days when you often had to travel miles for a pint of real ale. Does anyone remember Titbread Wankard, or the one about a dead frog having more hops in it than Ben Trueman? I can remember ordering an orange juice in preference.

20. Jeez relax, can we not express an opinion without being gunned down? I never said the reason I wanted to leave was because I'm bored for God's sake. No need to be sarcastic and all. Foneypharaoh cool it a bit, you're putting people off posting their opinions.