1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Hysteroscopy...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by mushroomz, Nov 8, 2019.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Having experienced abnormal bleeding recently, I need to have a hysteroscopy. Fortunately, I'm going to be having it under a general anaesthetic, which I requested when I went to the hospital this morning. The nurse practitioner explained the test to me and would have done it there and then, but I expressed my fears about it and they were very understanding.

Has anyone had this done under GA? What was your recovery time / after effects? How long did you take off work?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Yes I have as I was too anxious to have it done without.
    I was fine, went home later in the day and had no after effects. Small amount of bleeding. I was back to normal next day and think I took about a week off.
    In my case they removed a non cancerous polyp.
    I'm sure you will be fine.

3. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Thanks Copycat! I was hoping to only have the day of the procedure off. I suppose it all depends on whether they actually remove anything or just do an exploratory procedure.

4. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Mushrooms, I probably could have managed with just the following day off but they did advise one week.
    Good luck!

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I had one years ago under GA. They removed a fibroid (cauterised it). It's a light anaesthetic. My husband collected me at tea-time. Some bleeding, some period-pain-like discomfort for a couple of days that the painkillers dealt with, not a very comfortable night. He took the next day off and I lollopped around on the sofa. The next day I didn't work that day anyway and the day after that I was absolutely fine.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think I had 2 days off

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I had a hysteroscopy and ablation under GA a few years back. I had some light bleeding for a couple of days and was advised to stay off work for 48 hours but felt fine. Still had the time off though.